"BROOKE, a large and well-built village, and one of the three detached parishes of Clavering Hundred, is 7 miles S.S.E. of Norwich, and has 756 souls and 2049A. of land, belonging to many proprietors, some of whom have neat mansions here, . . . viz., Brooke House, the seat of George Samuel Kett, Esq., and Brooke Hall, an elegant cemented building in the Grecian style, erected in 1830, near the site of the Old hall, by its present owner and occupant, the Rev. John Holmes, lord of the manor (fines certain) and impropriator of the great tithes.William the Conqueror gave this manor to the Abbey of Bury St. Edmund's; and one of the abbots in the 10th of Edward I., obtained for it a market and fair, but both have long been obsolete.The CHURCH (St. Peter,) is an ancient fabric, . . . The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. Wm. Castell is the incumbent, and has recently given a house, worth £10 a-year, to provide for the repairs, &c., of the organ. The glebe is 2A. 3R. 32P., and the vicarial tithes were commuted in 1842, for £240 per annum. In the village, is a Baptist Chapel, built in 1839. A large National School has recently been built here, for the parishes of Brooke, Howe, and Kirstead." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Peter.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Brooke to another place.
Brooke is in Clavering Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Clavering Hundred
- Description of Clavering Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Brooke has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Brooke Inclosure Act, 1800.
An act for dividing and inclosing the commons, fen grounds, and waste lands, within the parish of Brooke, in the county of Norfolk.
[An independently printed edition of the act, 1800]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM290993 (Lat/Lon: 52.543059, 1.376206), Brooke which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)