White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
BROOME, 2 miles N. by E. of Bungay, and 13 miles S.S.E. of Norwich, has in its parish 610 souls, and 1,421A. of land.
Sir Wm. F. Fowle Middleton, Bart., owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £6 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £221, in the incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Colvile. The glebe is 28A.; and the CHURCH, (St. Michael,) is an ancient fabric.
Broome Place, a neat mansion overlooking the vale of the Waveney, is the seat of the Hon. Mrs. Chester.
The Town Lands, 27A. 3R. 19P., let for £60 a year, have been vested in trust since the 11th of Henry VIII., for the repairs of the church and other "town charges."
The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1806, is 10A. 1R. 30P., let with 5A. 19P. awarded to the Town Lands, for £8 a-year, to eight poor families.
Chester Hon. Mrs. Broome Place
Crowfoot Wm. vict., Artichoke
Eldon Jas. bricklayer
Hunt Mr. Jonathan
Hunt J. jun., shoemaker
Jollye Rev. Hunting,
Mealham Martha vict., Tuns
Meade John vict., Sun
Meyers J. miller
Neach Mr. Robt.
Mickleburgh Wm. (owner)
Palmer Wm. (owner)
Parkerson Carter J.
Spalding Thos. M.
See also the Broome parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.