White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
BROOME (or Brome) 2 miles N. by E. of Bungay, and 13 miles S.S.E. of Norwich, is a parish in Loddon union, Beccles county court district, Loddon petty sessional division, Loddon hundred, Yarmouth bankruptcy district, Loddon polling district of South Norfolk, and East Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
It had 514 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1419 acres, and has a rateable value of £2542 1s., and a gross rental of £3025 3s. 6d. The trustees of the late Sir William F. Fowle Middleton, Bart., own most of the soil, and are lords of the manor. Broome Place, a mansion overlooking the vale of the Waveney, belongs to Messrs. Samuel Darby and George Chase, but is now unoccupied. Mr. William Edward Cross also has an estate in the parish.
The CHURCH (St. Michael) is a large building of Perpendicular architecture, and comprises nave, chancel, south porch, and square embattled tower with five bells. In 1867 the chancel, which contains sedilia and a piscina, was rebuilt, and the church restored and re-seated. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £6 13s. 4d., is in the patronage of the trustees of the late Sir W. F. F. Middleton, Bart., and incumbency of the Rev. J. G. Brighton, M.D., who has a substantial brick residence, rebuilt in 1861. There are 26 acres of glebe, and the tithes have been commuted for £286 a year, of which £6 belong to the rector of Ditchingham.
A SCHOOL BOARD was established here in 1874, and consists of Rev. Dr. Brighton (chairman), and Messrs. L. Elden, G. Mickleburgh, W. Crowfoot, and Jas. Doe. Edward Cadge, Esq., of Loddon, is the clerk. The school was built in 1875, at a cost of £900, for the accommodation of 90 children.
The Town Lands, 27A. 3R. 19P., let for about £80 a year, have been vested in trust since 1520, for the repairs of the church and other 'town charges.' The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1806, is 10A. 1R. 30P., let with 4A. 19P. awarded to the Town Lands, for £17 8s. a year. The poor have also the interest of £120 12s. 5d., Three per Cent. Annuities, derived from the sale of an acre of allotment land. These charities are now vested in the Charity Commissioners, under the management of the following board: Rev. Dr. Brighton (chairman), J. D. French, Esq., and the churchwardens for the time being. Austen Smith, Esq., is clerk to the board.
POST from Bungay. WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 4.50 p.m. on week days only.
Brighton Rev. John George,
M.D. rector, The Rectory
Bull Isaac bricklayer and builder
Chandler Mr. Geo. Owles Beech house
Clow Fredk. Board schoolmaster
Crowfoot Wm. farmer, Heath house
Easter William market gardener
Elden James builder, bricklayer, contractor, and
parish constable and farmer, Stone cottage
Farrow Henry market gardener
Frost William marsh farmer
Goff Ezekiel vict. Three Tuns Inn
Kent Edward farmer and overseer
Mallinson John vict. Artichoke Inn
Mickelburgh Wm. farmer & thatcher
Moore Thomas farmer, and miller & merchant;
Wainford Mills, Suffolk
Mortlock Mrs Esther Herman Broome house
Mortlock Westall John farmer and surveyor, Red house
Mortlock William Herbert farmer & collector of taxes,
Pulford George vict. Rising Sun Inn
Pulford Mark & George farmers
Ramus George shoemaker & cowkpr
Redgrave Martin shopkeeper
Reeve Henry farmer & owner, Gambles farm;
Riches Walter shopkeeper
Saunders Hy. Berry farmer, Ivy hs
Smith Jeremiah carpenter
Smith John parish clerk and farmer
Tubby William shopkeeper
Wenn Misses Brome cottage
Wilson William farmer, Church farm
Wisken Thomas miller, corn and coal merchant
and assistant overseer
See also the Broome parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.