Norfolk: Brumstead


William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

BRUMSTEAD, or Brunstead, 7 miles E.S.E. of North Walsham, and 16 miles N.N.E. of Norwich, has 99 inhabitants, and 789 acres. Cubitt Durrant, Esq., is lord of the manor and owner of most of the soil. He resides at the Hall, a good residence, which was improved at considerable expense in 1844.

The Church (St. Peter) is a small structure, with nave, chancel, south porch, and square embattled tower containing one bell. In the chancel is a piscina; and here are tablets of the Comyn and Durrant families, and several stones stripped of their brasses.

The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 5s. 7d., is in the patronage of the Earl of Abergavenny. The Rev. Horatio Nelson Wm. Comyn, B.A., who is also incumbent of Walcott, is the present rector, and has a good residence, 22A. 3R. 16P. of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £240, awarded in 1843 in lieu of tithes.

The other principal inhabitants are

         Dexter   Jas.           parish clerk
         Riches   Thomas         blacksmith
         Faulke   Wm.            (owner)
         Gladden  George
         Newman   Margaret       (owner)
         Silcock  Cubitt Obadiah

POST from Norwich, via Stalham.

See also the Brumstead parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
April 2006