"BUNWELL, a large scattered village, 2½ miles N.E. by E. of New Buckenham, and 13 miles S.W. by S. of Norwich, has in its parish 1001 inhabitants, and 2423 acres of fertile land, belonging to various owners, the largest of whom is Sir Robert Jacob Buxton, Bart., who was born in 1829, and is lord of the manors of Bunwell, Baynard's Hall, and Pere's hall, (fines arbitrary;) but the Rev. James Stoughton has a small manor called Beaucham-in-Bunwell. The Church (St. Michael,) has a fine tower and south porch, and is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £17, and now having a yearly rent of £700, awarded in 1836 in lieu of tithes. Sir R. J. Buxton is patron, and the Rev. H. Dawson incumbent." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Depwade, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Michael and All Angels.
- Archdeacon's Transcripts or Bishop's Transcripts
- Baptisms, Marriages and Burials.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
- Folland, Rev. H.G.B.
- Bunwell Churchwarden's Accounts. (Transcript).
[Norwich Diocesan Committee for Books and Documents]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bunwell to another place.
Bunwell is in Depwade Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Depwade Hundred
- Description of Depwade Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Bunwell has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Bunwell Inclosure Act, 1809.
An act for inclosing lands in the parish of Bunwell, in the county of Norfolk.
- Kelly, Geoffrey Ian
- Eagle Farm, Aslacton and Bunwell: a history.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM126929 (Lat/Lon: 52.492815, 1.130303), Bunwell which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)