William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BUNWELL, a large scattered village, 3 miles N.E. by E. of New Buckenham, 4 miles S.E. of Attleborough, and 13 miles S.W. by S. of Norwich, is in Depwade union, Wymondham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Depwade hundred and petty sessional division, Attleborough polling district of South Norfolk, Depwade rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 861 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2423 acres, and has a rateable value of £3456.
The soil belongs to various owners, the largest of whom is Sir Robert J. Buxton, Bart., who is lord of the manors of Bunwell, Baynard's Hall, and Peri's Hall (fines arbitrary). John Mitchell's executors have a small manor called Beachams-in-Bunwell, and Clarke Stoughton, Esq. is lord of Tibenham-with-Carlton, which is partly in this parish.
The CHURCH (St. Michael) comprises nave, chancel, south porch, and lofty tower containing six bells, and stands in an elevated situation, so that it can be seen from a great distance. The roof is of open timber; the windows are large, and good specimens of Perpendicular workmanship, especially that at the east end, which is of five lights. The font is of carved stone and very ancient, and the porch is built of large flints intersected with Caen stone. The altar-piece is a painting of the circumcision of Christ.
The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £17, now having a yearly rent-charge of £700, awarded in 1836 in lieu of tithes. Sir R.J. Buxton, Bart., is patron, and the Rev. Henry Dawson, M.A., of Torquay, Devonshire, is the incumbent, for whom the Rev. T.W. Whistler officiates.
A large and handsome Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1876.
Here is a School Board, formed in 1878; it now consists of Messrs. W. Burton (chairman), N. Lanham, R. Smith, J. Brown, and W. Long. New Schools, capable of accommodating 120 children, and having teacher's residence attached, were built in 1878.
The Town Land, which has been vested in trust from an early period for paying tenths and fifteenths, repairing the church, &c., consists of 16A. 1R. 22P., partly in Wymondham and Carleton Rode, and is let for £22, which is applied with the church rates, except 20s. for the poor. The Fuel Allotment, 18A. 1R. 22P., awarded at the enclosure in 1812, is let for £20, and is expended in coals.
POST OFFICE at Mrs. Jemima Roper's. Despatch viâ Attleborough at 6.30 p.m.; delivery at 8 a.m. Nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office, New Buckenham.
Abon William carpenter and wheelwrt Ayton Isaac farmer and owner Barker Fredk. wheelwrt. & blacksmith Barker Thomas farmer Barnard George shoemaker Bateman James farmer Bayes James grocer and draper Betts Wm. farmer & owner, Peri's hall Brown George farmer Brown John butter merchant Brown John farmer Brown Walter farmer Burton William farmer and owner Cadamey Jonathan victualler, Crown and Anchor Carter Mrs Mary shopkeeper Casey Lambert tailor Chapman Mrs E.A. schoolmistress Chapman Stephen farmer Colman Thomas farmer Daines William shoemaker Dordery Wm. farmer, Baynard's hall Everett Richard farmer Francis Charles farmer and machinist Francis John shopkeeper and dealer Gainer William farmer Grant William farmer and woodman Gunns Robert farmer Hales Wm. beerhouse, Prince of Wales Hardiman Charles farmer Hardiman James farmer Hardiman Robert farmer Hardiman William shopkeeper Hinchley George farmer Hotson John frmr.; h Long Stratton Humphrey George beerhouse, Trowel and Hammer Jolly George thatcher Knights James farmer and machinist Lanham Nelson frmr.; Tollgate farm Long John shoemaker Long William farmer and owner Mears Horace farmer Moore William farmer Mutimer John farmer Newman John shopkeeper Rix Henry farmer and owner Rush John victualler, Queen's Head Saunders Robert farmer Sheldrake Isaac machinist Smith John victualler, Farriers' Arms Smith Robert, jun. bldr. and brickmkr Trudgill Frederick James plumber, painter, and glazier Tubby Daniel carpenter and builder West Wm. Jas. plumber and glazier Whistler Rev. Thomas W. curate Willingham Thomas
CARRIERS - Stephen Linstead, Old Buckenham and Norwich, Wed. and Sat; George Filby, New Buckenham and Norwich, Wed. and Sat
See also the Bunwell parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.