"BURGH PARVA, 4 miles S.S.W. of Holt, is a decayed parish, which, from time immemorial, has been united with Melton-Constable. It contains only Burgh Hall and 400 acres of land belonging to Lord Hastings, and occupied by Fras. L'Estrange Astley, Esq. The CHURCH was dilapidated many centuries ago; but some traces of it still remain near the hall." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Holt, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1869 (and for the censuses in 1851 and 1861), Burgh Parva was in Erpingham Registration District.
In 1869 it was transferred to Walsingham Registration District for civil registration until 1930, and for the censuses of 1871 to 1901.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Burgh Parva to another place.
Burgh Parva is in Holt Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Holt Hundred
- Description of Holt Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Burgh Parva has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG044346 (Lat/Lon: 52.870192, 1.035912), Burgh Parva which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)