Hide

Burgh St Margaret

hide
Hide

"BURGH ST. MARGARET and ST. MARY (commonly called FLEGG BURGH), formerly distinct parishes, form one parish 3 miles west from Ormsby station of the Eastern and Midlands railway, 15 miles north-east from Norwich and 7½ north-west from Yarmouth railway station, in the Northern division of the county, incorporated hundreds and union of East and West Flegg, county court district of Great Yarmouth, rural deanery of Flegg and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The old church of St. Mary has gone to decay, with the exception of a small portion of the tower, which remains in the centre of a field. St. Margaret's, erected about the middle of the fourteenth century is a structure of flint in the Decorated style, but it contains fragments of Norman work, and has curious quatrefoil ventilating holes under the windows: it has chancel, nave and square tower with 3 bells: it was, in 1876, thoroughly restored and reseated to hold 170; the work was carried out at the sole expense of the rector, the Rev. Charles John Lucas. The parsonage was entirely gutted by fire about the year 1754, and the church register at that time consumed; the present register commences at that period, and is in excellent preservation." [Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk (1883) - Transcription copyright © E.C. "Paddy" Apling]

Hide
topup

Church Directories

  • In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Flegg, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
    It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
  • The parish church is dedicated to St Margaret.
topup

Church History

Church of St Margaret
Description and pictures.
Ruined church of St Mary
Description and pictures.
Ruined church of St Mary
Pictures of the church.
topup

Church Records

Marriages 1813-1837
See Phillimore's Marriage Registers, Volume 7.
Marriages 1813-1837
These are included in Boyd's Marriage Index.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records

topup

Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1923 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Burgh St Margaret was in Flegg Registration District. Between 1837 and 1850, the district was called East and West Flegg.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration

You can see pictures of Burgh St Margaret which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

Burgh St Margaret is in West Flegg Hundred.

Parish outline and location.
See Parish Map for East Flegg and West Flegg Hundreds
Description of East Flegg and West Flegg Hundreds
1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

You can see the administrative areas in which Burgh St Margaret has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Land and Property

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG444140 (Lat/Lon: 52.668107, 1.613917), Burgh St Margaret which are provided by:

topup

Military Records

Roll of Honour for Burgh St Margaret and Billockby
World Wars 1 and 2.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Military Records

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law, etc.