"BURSTON, 3 miles N.N.E. of Diss, has in its parish 468 souls, and 1405 acres of land, belonging to many owners, and lying in the following manors, (fines arbitrary,) viz., the Rev. T.B. Morris's manors of Brockdish and Melding Hall; the Earl of Albemarle's manor of Winfarthing; and Heydon Hall, belonging to the trustees of the late Charles Layton, Esq. The Church (Virgin Mary,) is a small fabric, with a wooden belfry. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £16, is in the gift of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Temple Frere. The glebe is about 60A., and the tithes have been commuted for £476 per annum. Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Redenhall, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Burston to another place.
Burston is in Diss Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Diss Hundred
- Description of Diss Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Burston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Annual inclosure act, 1867.
An act to authorize the inclosure of certain lands in pursuance of a special report of the Inclosure Commissioners for England and Wales: 12th August 1867.
[London, George Edward Eyre and William Spottiswoode, 1867]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM138833 (Lat/Lon: 52.40598, 1.142061), Burston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Edwards, Bertram
- The Burston School strike.
[ISBN 085315287X, London, Lawrence and Wishart, 1974]
- Higdon, Thomas George
- The Burston rebellion.
[Scole Common, Trustees of the Burston Strike School, 1984. Originally published 1910s]
- Trustees of Burston Strike School
- The Burston Strike School: the story of the longest strike in history, 1914-1939.
[ISBN 0951468804, Diss, Norfolk, 1991]
- Zamoyska, Betka
- The Burston rebellion.
[ISBN 0563203897, London, British Broadcasting Corporation, Ariel books, 1985]