"BUXTON is a pleasant and well-built village, on the west bank of the river Bure, nearly 4 miles S.S.E. of Aylsham. The parish contains 713 inhabitants, and 1274A.2R.23P. of land, the greater part of which belongs to Sir Edward H.J. Stracey, Bart., the lord of the manor, who purchased the advowson of the vicarage, and the rectorial tithes, of S. Bignold, Esq., except those portions of the latter held by other landowners. Dudwick House, half a mile W. of the church, is an ancient mansion, with a well-wooded lawn and good estate, belonging to Jno. Wright, Esq., the occupant, and formerly the seat of the family of Dudwick. Buxton Old Hall, with a small estate, is the property of Mr. Thomas Lane. This manor had anciently the liberty of executing criminals, on Gallows hill, which has long been levelled, though it still retains the name of Gallows hill close. The Church (St. Andrew,) has a square tower, with five bells, and contains many inscriptions to the families of Bedingfeld, Manning, Bulwer, &c. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5.13s.9d., is consolidated with the rectories of Skeyton and Oxnead, in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Anson, whose relative, the late Lord Anson, was patron and lord of the manor." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Ingworth, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Andrew.
- Parish Register Transcripts
- Baptisms, Banns, Marriages and Burials.
- Archdeacon's Transcripts or Bishop's Transcripts
- Baptisms, Marriages and Burials.
- Parish Register Transcripts
- Baptisms 1665-1896, Banns 1755-1818,1823-1900, Marriages 1674-1837 and Burials 1666-1872.
[Parish Register Transcription Society, Dart Series, 2000?]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Buxton to another place.
Buxton is in South Erpingham Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for South Erpingham Hundred
- Description of South Erpingham Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Buxton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Swanton Abbot, Lammas and Buxton inclosure act, 1809.
An act for inclosing lands in the parishes of Swanton Abbott, Lammas, and Buxton, in the county of Norfolk.
[An independently printed edition of the act, 1809]
- 1833 Survey
- Owners and occupiers of land and property.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG232226 (Lat/Lon: 52.754841, 1.306686), Buxton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)