William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
CALTHORPE, 3½ miles N. of Aylsham, is a parish in Aylsham union, petty sessional division, and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, South Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, Aldborough polling district of North Norfolk, Ingworth rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It has a rateable value of £1928, and had 204 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1048 acres. The greater part of the parish belongs to the Earl of Orford, who is impropriator of the rectory and lord of the manor.
The CHURCH (St. Margaret) comprises nave, chancel, and square tower with one bell. The living is a discharged vicarage, certified at £27, and now valued at £143. The Norwich Charity Trustees are patrons, and the Rev. Samuel Marsh Shepheard, B.A., who resides at Erpingham, is the incumbent. The glebe is 24A. 1R. 17P., and the tithes have been commuted for £140 to the vicar and £195 per annum to the impropriator.
The Town Lands, &c., given by unknown donors, were mostly exchanged at the enclosure in 1821, and now consist of a house, a barn, four cottages, and 14A. 1R. 1P., let for £29 10s. a year.
POST from Norwich. Hanworth and Aylsham are the nearest Money Order Offices.
Brown Robert John farmer Burgess James blacksmith, ironfounder and implement maker Chapman Robt. vict. Saracen's Head Cooper Jonathan wheelwright Davison Walter parish clerk Dunham Mrs Sarah shopkeeper Farrow John farmer Ives Robert, Esq., J.P. Newstead George carrier Robins William Burton farmer Soame Peter farmer
CARRIER - G. Newstead, to Norwich, Saturday.
From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:
"line 1, take out 'petty sessional division.'"
See also the Calthorpe parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.