"CARLETON, (EAST) 5 miles S.W. by S. of Norwich, has in its parish 310 souls, and 1116 acres of land. Sir J.P. Boileau, W. Hurnard, Esq., and the Revs. J.H. Steward and G. Preston, own most of the soil, but the Norwich Charity Trustees (formerly the Corporation,) are lords of the manor of East Carlton-with-Hethel, which they hold by the service of carrying yearly to the "royal household" 24 herring-pies, but none have been presented since 1834. Here is another manor, called Carlton-Curzon and Peverels, of which the Rev. J.H. Steward is lord. East Carlton was anciently two parishes, and had two Churches, standing within 50 yards of each other; but St. Peter's was dilapidated in 1550, and only a few fragments of it now remain; though its discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6, and in 1831, at £138, is still continued as a sinecure, in the gift of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Samuel Barker, of Lakenheath, Suffolk. St. Mary's is a small building, with a short square tower and wooden spire, and is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4, and in 1831, at £181, in the gift of the Norwich Charity Trustees, and incumbency of the Rev. Robert John Francis." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Humbleyard, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
There was a church dedicated to St Peter but this was dilapidated in 1550.
- Church of St Mary
- Picture of the church.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from East Carleton to another place.
East Carleton is in Humbleyard Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Humbleyard Hundred
- Description of Humbleyard Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which East Carleton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG177021 (Lat/Lon: 52.572907, 1.211927), East Carleton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.