Norfolk: Carleton Forehoe
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
CARLETON FOREHOE is a small scattered village and parish, 3 miles N. by W. of Wymondham, in Forehoe union, Wymondham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Forehoe petty sessional division and hundred, Wymondham polling district of South Norfolk, Hingham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 120 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1772 acres, and has a rateable value of £1132 3s. The Earl of Kimberley is owner of nearly all the soil.
The CHURCH (St. Mary) is a small structure of Perpendicular architecture, and comprises nave, chancel, and south porch. Its low square tower was built in the reign of Queen Anne, and contains one bell. The church was restored in 1863, fitted with handsome open seats of oak, and partly paved with encaustic tiles, at a cost of £200. There is a piscina in the chancel and another at the south-east end of the nave. Near the latter is a niche which probably once contained a statue. The organ was given by a late Mrs. Wodehouse.
The Earl of Kimberley is patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5 17s. 1d., and now at £150, arising from 131 acres of land, mostly allotted in lieu of tithes in 1766, and partly purchased with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and £200 given by the Rev. James Champion in 1724. Of this 93A. 2R. 39P. are in this parish, and the rest in Garveston. The Rev. John Edward Parker Bartlett, is the rector, and has a good brick residence, built in 1847 at a cost of £900.
The School, with mistress's house attached, is a thatched building, erected by the late Lord Wodehouse in 1830, and attended by about 35 children. It is supported by the present Earl of Kimberley.
The Town Lands, left by John Sayer in 1391, are undefinably intermingled with Earl Kimberley's estate, and for many years he and his predecessors have paid for them a yearly rent of £24 9s. 4d., which is carried to the poor rates, together with £1 16s., received as the rent of an acre of land in Barnham Broom, which was obtained at the enclosure in exchange for other land belonging to this parish. Carleton Forehoe fen poor's land is let for the annual rent of £5 for a term of years to the Earl of Kimberley, the money being expended on coal for the poor.
POST OFFICE. Pillar Post Office, cleared at 6.45 p.m. Wymondham is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Bartlett Rev. John Edward Parker rector of Crownthorpe Bowhill Thomas parish clerk Laskey Mrs Ann shopkeeper Osman William woodman Rolfe John farmer, Church farm Taylor Miss Letitia Natl. schlmistrss Tubby Elisha estate carpenter
CARRIERS from Hingham & Shipdham pass through to Norwich, daily except Friday
See also the Carleton Forehoe parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.