William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
CASTON, a pleasant village, 3½ miles S.E. of Watton, has in its parish 510 inhabitants, and 1557 acres of land, mostly belonging to Lord Walsingham, Sir Wm. Bowyer Smijth, Bart., and George Barker and Machin Lake, Esqrs. Sir Wm. B. Smijth is lord of the manor of Caston Hall, but part of the parish is in the manors of Newlands, Griston, and Scoulton.
The Church (Holy Cross) comprises nave, chancel, and tower, with a clock and six bells; and is mostly in the early-decorated and perpendicular styles. It underwent repairs in 1839 and 1852, and is furnished with open benches, pulpit, and lectern of carved oak. In the chancel is a brass to Hy. Dover, Esq., and in the nave a tablet to the Francklin family.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £11. 19s. 2d., is now in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Walter John Partridge, M.A., who has a plain residence, a yearly tithe rent-charge of £517, and 52A. of glebe.
The School is attended by 50 children, and was built in 1839. It is chiefly supported by the interest of £1054. 0s. 5d., three per cent. annuities, purchased with £1000 left by the late Henry Dover, Esq., in 1855.
The Wesleyans have a small chapel here, built in 1818.
On the green is the base of a curiously carved cross, near which is an old farm house, said to have been an inn for the reception of pilgrims proceeding to Walsingham Abbey.
An allotment of 25A., awarded to the occupiers of 34 houses, in 1813, is let for £11. The Town Land, 2A. 35P., is let for £7, which is applied with the poor rates, and 1A., set apart for the repair of the highways, is let for £3 a year.
POST OFFICE at Jas. Osborn's. Letters despatched, via Attleborough, at 6 p.m.
Bainbridge Fairfax carpenter Barnes Robert bricklayer Chaston Daniel relieving officer and registrar of marriages, births, &c. Cooper Jas. and Wm. machine owners Crook Mary Ann beerhouse Drake Isaac tailor Hammond Mary pork butcher Hewett John painter, plumber, &c. Houchin William thatcher Murrell James victualler, Duke's Head Osborn James saddler & harness maker Palmer Richard Frederick, Esq. Parker William victualler, Red Lion Partridge Rev. W.J., M.A. Rectory Sayer John farm bailiff Sculfer George blacksmith Steward Elizabeth schoolmistress Sturman John pig dealer Thorpe Misses Wymer Edward corn miller BAKERS. FARMERS. Gapp James Bailey George Plummer Samuel and Cooper Mary Ann Joseph Cooper William Davey William GROCERS & DRAPERS. Davey William, jun. Germany James Bilham James Knights Jonathan Cooper James H. Knights Solomon Land Edward SHOEMAKERS. Parsley William, Church farm Brett John Pattrick Richard Gooch Edward Turner Ellis, Hall Houchin James Vassar Charles Whitrod James WHEELWRIGHTS. Wright William Wyer Edward Banham George Webster James
See also the Caston parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.