William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
CASTON, a pleasant village, 3½ miles S.E. of Watton, and about 1½ miles N.E. of Stow Bedon Station, is in Wayland union, hundred, and petty sessional division, Attleborough county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Watton polling district of West Norfolk, Beccles rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 543 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1509 acres, and has a rateable value of £2762.
The soil mostly belongs to Lord Walsingham, Sir William Bowyer Smijth, Bart., George Barker, Esq., J.P., and Frederick Lake, Esq. Sir Willam B. Smijth is lord of the manor of Caston Hall, but part of the parish is in the manors of Newlands, Griston, and Scoulton.
The CHURCH (Holy Cross) comprises nave, chancel, and tower with a clock and six bells, and is mostly in the Early Decorated and the Perpendicular styles. It underwent repairs in 1839 and 1852, and is furnished with open benches, pulpit, and lectern of carved oak. In the chancel is a brass to Henry Dover, Esq., and in the nave a tablet to the Francklin family.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £11 19s. 2d., is now in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Walter John Partridge, M.A., J.P., who has a plain residence, a yearly tithe rent-charge of £517, and 52 acres of glebe.
The School is attended by 90 children, and was built in 1839. It is chiefly supported by the interest of £1054 0s. 5d., three per cent. Annuities, purchased with £1000 left by the late Henry Dover, Esq., in 1855.
The Wesleyans have a small chapel here, built in 1818, now in the hands of the Primitive Methodists.
On the green is the base of a curiously carved cross, near which is an old farm house, said to have been an inn for the reception of pilgrims proceeding to Walsingham Abbey.
An allotment of 25 acres, awarded to the occupiers of 34 houses in 1813, is let for £11. The Town Land, 2A. 35P., is let for £7, which is applied with the poor rates, and 1A., set apart for the repair of the highways, is let for £3 a year.
POST OFFICE at Mr. John Murrell's. Letters from Attleborough arrive at 8.45 a.m. and are despatched at 5.55 p.m., Sundays at 10 a.m. Watton is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Bambridge James builder & bricklayr Banham Emanuel farmer, Chase frm Banham George coachbuilder Barker George, Esq., J.P. Flaxmoor Barnard William farmer Barnes Robert farmer and bricklayer Bensley Robert beerhouse Bilham John shopkeeper Chapman Arthur blacksmith Cooper Jas. thrashing machine owner Crisp John travelling draper & vict. Red Lion Commercial Inn Davies Rev. Arthur Charles, B.A. curate, The Curacy Downs James carpenter and builder Drake Isaac tailor and farmer Drake James cattle dealer and farmr Feltham George James farmer Garrett Mrs Maria shopkeeper Gooch Edward shoemaker & beerhs Gooch Edward, jun. carpenter Hewett Jas. painter, plmbr. & decoratr Houchen Jas. shoemkr. & vict. The Duke Houchen William thatcher Kenny James farmer King Thomas parish clerk Knott William farmer Layt Isaac pork butcher Lincoln Thomas farmer, Church farm Littleproud James baker Littleproud Thomas merchant and farmer, Waterloo farm Mace Mrs Murfet Wm. Morton farmer, Caston hall Murrell John shopkeeper, newsagent and Post Office Osborn Mrs Hannah & James saddlers and harness makers Partridge Rev. Walter John, M.A., J.P. The Rectory Sayer John farm bailiff to Rev. W.J. Partridge Thompson George beerhouse Webster James wheelwright Wyer Edward miller & farmer Yeomans Elijah builder
CARRIERS - John Rayner to Norwich, Wed. and Sat.; and John Dye from Rockland
From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:
In the first paragraph, for 'Beccles,' read 'Breccles.'
See also the Caston parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.