Norfolk: Catfield


William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Peter Green]

CATFIELD, a large but straggling village, in several detached portions, 14 miles N.W. of Norwich and 3 miles S. by E. of Stalham, has in its parish 655 souls, and 2393 acres of land, including part of Hicklingham and Ludham Broads. The soil belongs chiefly to the Cubitt, Crowe, Beck, and other resident families. The Rev. B. Cubitt is lord of the manor of Catfield Hall; and the rest of the parish is in the out-soke manor of Sutton.

The church (All Saints,) is a large gothic structure, built about 1440, and having five bells. The living is a discharged rectory and vicarage, united, and valued in the King's Book at £7.10s. The Bishop of Norwich and the Rev. B. Cubitt are patrons alternately; and the Rev. John Prowett A.M., is the incumbent. The glebe is 21a. 3r. 11p., and the tithes have recently been commuted for £606 per annum. Here is a Primitive Methodist Chapel built in 1838.

The poor have 4a. 22p.of land, at Ludham, given by unknown donors, and now let for £8; and the interest of £43, arising from the sale of five tenements. The Poor's Allotment, awarded at the enclosure, in 1802, consists of 57a. 9p. of heath land, on which the poor cut turf and pasture their cows.

         Balls     John             wherry owner
         Barber    Mrs Sar.
         Crowe     Mrs Ann
         Cubitt    Mrs Jane         Hall
         Dye       Richd.           beerhouse and carrier
         Gibbs     Wm.              blksmth
         Greenwood Benj.            schoolmaster, and agent to
                                    Norwich Union Life Off.
         Harbord   Thos.            blksmth
         Knight    Benjamin         butcher
         Moore     John Dyball      grocer, &c
         Myhill    Edw.             joiner
         Page      Saml.            joiner
         Postle    Samuel           baker
         Prowett   Rev. John, A.M.  Rectory
         Rice      Robert           tailor and grocer
         Vincent   Christopher      miller
         Watts     George           vict. Crown
                       FARMERS                       Shoemakers
                     * are Owners
         *Amis    Edward    *George     Robert     Dawson   Robert
         *Barber  George     Greensmith Mrs        Myhill   David
         *Beck    James      Jay        James      Myhill   Lewis
         *Beck    Wm         Knight     Robert     Pycroft  Thos.
          Brumble John       Lubbock    Robert
          Chapman Saml.     *Mace       Roger
         *Cooke   Henry      Pigg       Philip
          Crowe   Samuel     Pritty     Samuel
         *Crowe   Wm.        Southgate  John
          Cubitt  Charles        (& brick mkr)
          Dawson  George     Wells      Martin

See also the Catfield parish page.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
December 1998