"CENTRAL WINGLAND is a new parish, consisting of 3193 acres of land, of which 1649 acres are in Lincolnshire and the rest in Norfolk. The Lincolnshire portion is in the Parts of Holland, Holbeach union and county court district, Elloe wapentake, Long Sutton petty sessional division, and Long Sutton polling district of South Lincolnshire; and the Norfolk portion is in Holbeach union and county court district, Lincoln bankruptcy district, Freebridge Marshland petty sessional division and hundred, and Terrington St. Clement's polling district of West Norfolk. It contains a few scattered farm houses, and had in 1881 a population of 294 (47 in Lincolnshire). Some of the inhabitants attend Sutton Bridge church, and others Terrington St. Clement's. It is about 9 miles N. of Wisbech and 10 W. of Lynn. . . . The chief owners are the Crown, Mrs. Gibbons, R.P. Mossop, Esq., Colonel Long, and Mr. D. Coy. . . . There is no place of worship here." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1883) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
Central Wingland was partly in Norfolk and partly in Lincolnshire until 1897, when it was mostly transferred to Lincolnshire. The remaining Norfolk part was transferred to Terrington St Clement.
See also Central Wingland in Lincolnshire.
There were no cemeteries.
- White's Directory for 1883 says that the inhabitants attended the churches in Terrington St Clement in Norfolk, and Sutton Bridge in Lincolnshire.
- In 1883 Terrington St Clement was in the Deanery of Lynn Marshland, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- There was no parish church in Central Wingland.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Central Wingland to another place.
The Norfolk part of Central Wingland was in Freebridge Marshland Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Freebridge Marshland Hundred
- Description of Freebridge Marshland Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Central Wingland has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF509220 (Lat/Lon: 52.774213, 0.235863), Central Wingland which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- After 1834 both Norfolk and Lincolnshire parts of Central Wingland became part of the Holbeach Union in Lincolnshire, and the workhouse was at Fleet.