"CHEDGRAVE, on the north bank of the Thirn rivulet, is a northern suburb of Loddon, 9 miles S.E. of Norwich. Its parish has 348 souls, and 1,395 acres of land, mostly belonging to Sir W. B. Proctor, the lord of the manor, and patron of the CHURCH, (All Saints,) which has a fine Norman doorway, and a stained glass window. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at £5 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £186, in the incumbency of the Rev. T. W. H. Beauchamp, with 6A. of glebe. The Rev. J. Gilbert has an estate and neat mansion here." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
Chedgrave is also found as Loddon with Chedgrave.
See also Loddon.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Chedgrave to another place.
Chedgrave is in Loddon Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Loddon Hundred
- Description of Loddon Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Chedgrave has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- See Loddon History.
- "Before Your Time" booklets.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM361994 (Lat/Lon: 52.541493, 1.481008), Chedgrave which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)