White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
CHEDGRAVE, on the north bank of the Thirn rivulet, is a northern suburb of Loddon, 9 miles S.E. of Norwich. Its parish has 348 souls, and 1,395 acres of land, mostly belonging to Sir W. B. Proctor, the lord of the manor, and patron of the CHURCH, (All Saints,) which has a fine Norman doorway, and a stained glass window.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at £5 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £186, in the incumbency of the Rev. T. W. H. Beauchamp, with 6A. of glebe. The Rev. J. Gilbert has an estate and neat mansion here.
Baldwin Wm. cooper Branch Mr. Robt. Burton Miss E. Copling Wm. plumber, glazier, &c. Cumby Wm. blacksmith Ellis Mr. Clement Fairhead John cattle dealer Forder Thos. gardener Gilbert Rev. John, sen. Manor House and jun. Hoddy Edgar wheelwright Jones Wm. schoolr. Mallett James shoemaker Mills Samuel baker Spence Robt. gardener Watson Jas. vict., White Horse Wheelhouse Joseph grocer Whitlock Jno. yeoman Wickham Robt. shoemaker
See also the Chedgrave parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.