Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Norfolk: Claxton

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Norfolk: Claxton

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

CLAXTON, 7½ miles S.E. of Norwich, is a parish in Loddon union, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Loddon petty sessional division, Loddon hundred, Loddon polling district of South Norfolk, Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 204 inhabitants in 1881, living on 991 acres, and has a rateable value of £1492.

Sir Charles H.S. Rich owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor. In the reign of Edward III. Walter de Kerdiston had license to castellate his manor house here, and a charter for a market and fair. Here are still some remains of the ancient manor house. A court baron and customary court is held every July.

The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a thatched building, comprising nave, chancel, south porch, and square embattled tower with three bells. The chancel contains a piscina and a memorial tablet to Sir Henry Gawdy. The chancel was entirely rebuilt at the expense of Sir C.H.S. Rich, in 1873. There is also a memorial tablet to the Rev. Stephen Webster, formerly incumbent of Claxton.

There is no rectory house. The living is a limited rectory in the patronage of Sir Charles H.S. Rich, impropriator and patron of the living, which was augmented with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty in 1810. The Rev. George Gilbert, M.A. is the incumbent. The tithe upon 780A. 3R. 9P. (the estate of Sir C.H.S. Rich), was in 1840 commuted at £130, which is payable to the impropriator. The tithe upon the remaining portion of the land, or 202A. 1R. 39P., was commuted at £57, and is payable to the incumbent, Rev. George Gilbert, M.A., who is resident in a house of his own.

The Particular Baptists have a chapel here, built in 1749 and enlarged in 1800: it has 800 sittings. A National School was built in 1848, and a teacher's house and class-rooms were added in 1858 at the expense of the Rev. G. Gilbert. The Poor's Allotment, 6A. 3R. 5P., was awarded at the enclosure, in the 48th of George III., and is now let for £8 14s. a year. The Church Land is 5A. 24P.

POST from Norwich, viâ Thurton. Wall Letter Box here cleared at 2.30 p.m.

         Bate      William           farmer, Manor farm
         Chapman   Geo.              miller & marsh farmer
         Durrant   John              farmer
         Farrow    John              mrkt. grdnr. & overseer
         Fish      Mrs Jane          market gardener
         Gilbert   Rev. George, M.A. rector
         Goddard   Mrs Sarah Ann     dairy farmer, and at Norwich
         Long      Robert            market gardener
         Osborne   William           grocer and draper
         Parsons   Mrs Rebecca       victualler, Folly Inn
         Ruddock   John              shopkeeper and draper
         Smith     William           market gardener
         Strachan  Mrs A.K.          Natnl. schlmstrss
         Walpole   Henry             parish clerk
         Ward      Henry             blacksmith
 

See also the Claxton parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
October 2015