Hide

Norfolk: Clenchwarton

hide
Hide

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

CLENCHWARTON is a scattered village, 2 miles W. of Lynn by the ferry, and 3 miles by the bridge, including within its parish 599 inhabitants, and 3070 acres of land, exclusive of about 160 acres of the old bed of the river Ouse, now converted into pasture ground. The soil belongs to a number of freeholders, the largest of whom are E. Akroyd, J.B. Monk, and John Stephens, Esqrs., and the Rev. J.C. Keate; but Richard Bagge, Esq., is lord of the manor.

The Church (St. Margaret) is an ancient cemented building, partly mantled with ivy, and sheltered on the north by the plantations of the rectory house. It comprises nave, chancel, and tower with five bells, and was reseated and repaired about ten years ago. The chancel was restored in 1863.

The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £14. 16s. 6d., is in the patronage of Sir Edward Grogan, Bart., M.P., and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas T. Upwood, M.A., of Terrington St. Clements, who has here a good residence (occupied by the curate), about 32 acres of glebe, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £435. There are also 3½ acres of land and 9 cottages, the rents of which are applied towards the repairs of the church. About 1100 acres of land in this parish are titheable only to West and North Lynn.

The National School was built about twenty years ago, and is attended by 65 children. The Wesleyans and the Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. The poor have an orchard of three roods, left by Thomas Wardle in 1730, and three roods left by Ann Rodgers, in 1776. The salt marshes of this parish extend to the Wash, between Terrington and North Lynn.

POST OFFICE at Ann Sutton's. Letters despatched, via Lynn, at 5 p.m.

           Allen     Robt.             par. clerk           Barron    Mr Thos.           Crabb     William           victualler, Black Horse           Cranfield William           corn miller           Grogan    Rev. Geo. M.A.    curate, Rectory           Hambling  Henry William     schoolmaster           Harrison  Fletcher          victualler, Victory           Hudspeth  Henry             machine maker           Maher     James Hannell     road surveyor           Tipple    Thos.             butcher           Vincent   Samuel            cattle dealer           Wardle    Mr John               BEERHOUSES.            Fuller    John           Hall      Thos.             Smeeth           Hudspeth  Henry           Tipple    Geo.              (and butcher)               BLACKSMITHS.            Green     Thomas           Hudspeth  Henry                                 FARMERS.                            (* are Owners.)            Barron    Thos. John        Gagen     Goddard         * Briggs    Henry           * Harrison  John           Burrell   Alderson          Looker    Wm. Banklands           Collinson Charles                       Hall           Cooke     Isaac             Mountain  Ellen           Diggens   Francis,          Scrimshaw George                       The Smeeth    * Warnes    James         * Fisher    George            Warnes    James jun.               SHOEMAKERS.            Harrison  Fletcher           Platten   John 

CARRIER to Lynn, Ann Embling


See also the Clenchwarton parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
November 2008