"CRESSINGHAM (GREAT) is a scattered village, near the river Wissey, 5 miles S. by E. of Swaffham, comprising in its parish 476 inhabitants, and 2391 acres of land. mostly belonging to E. T. Applewhaite, Esq., H. B. Caldwell, Esq., and the Rev. H. Dugmore, the first of whom is lord of Glosebriggs manor, and lessee of an estate here called Collins' manor, belonging to the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who have a peculiar jurisdiction in this parish, where there is likewise a small rectorial manor, in which there was a chapel and a hermitage, dedicated to St. George; the site of which is the "Stone Close," where a cattle and horse FAIR is held on the first Wednesday in August, paying tolls to the rector. . . . The CHURCH (St. Michael) is a large edifice, with a lofty square tower, and contains several fine brasses and inscriptions to the Eyre, Fludd, and other families. The rectory, valued in KB at £17. 8s.1d., and in 1831 at £610, was consolidated with that of Bodney, in 1770. . . . The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. Benj. Philpot, M.A., is the incumbent." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © E.C. “Paddy” Apling]
See also Little Cressingham.
- Until 1857, the parish was in the Peculiar of Great Cressingham.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Cranwich, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Michael.
- Marriages 1557-1812
- See Phillimore's Marriage Registers, Volume 3.
- These are included in Boyd's Marriage Index.
- Birch, Charles George Roberts
- On certain brasses at Necton and Great Cressingham.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol.12, 1895]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1854: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1864: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1883: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1883: Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk
- 1937: Kelly's Directory of Norfolk
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Directories
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Great Cressingham to another place.
Great Cressingham is in South Greenhoe hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which Great Cressingham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Manor Court Rolls of Great Cressingham 1328-29
- From "English Manorial Documents" by E.P. Cheyney, 1907.
- Chandler, Henry W.
- Five court rolls of Great Cressingham in the county of Norfolk.
Court rolls in Latin, with English translation, introduction and notes.
[London, Printed by Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1885]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF851017 (Lat/Lon: 52.582035, 0.73059), Great Cressingham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Great Cressingham National School
- A Victorian school experience.