Norfolk: Croxton near Thetford
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
CROXTON, 2 miles N. of Thetford, is a village on the acclivity of a steep hill, crowned with trees, which may be seen at the distance of many miles in this champaign country. Its parish, which has 428 inhabitants, is in Thetford union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Grimshoe hundred, Gallow petty sessional division, Watton polling district of West Norfolk, Cranwich rural deanery and Norfolk archdeaconry.
It had 308 inhabitants in 1881, living on 4609 acres of light sandy land, and has a rateable value of £3625. Wm. Dalziel Mackenzie, Esq., is lord of the manor of Sibton in Croxton, and principal landowner. A Court Leet is held at the Bell yearly, and Mr. John Houchen is steward. Christ's College, Cambridge, and Captain John Wm. Davy, are also landowners.
The CHURCH (All Saints) was built about the year 1280, and was enlarged and altered in the middle of the 14th and 15th centuries. It was restored in 1856, at a cost of £800. One bell and good clock hangs in the tower, which is built of flint, and is round at the base, and octagonal above.
Christ's College, Cambridge, are patrons of the vicarage, which was valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., and was augmented in 1809 and 1819, with £400 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and is now worth about £100 per annum. The Rev. Hy. Williams, M.A., is the vicar, and has a good residence built in 1843, at a cost of £700, and enlarged in 1862. The tithes have been commuted - the rectorial for £400, and the vicarial for £73 a year.
The National School, which was enlarged in 1875, to accommodate 60 scholars, is attended by about 45 children.
The Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans have chapels here.
The Fuel Allotment, 20A., was awarded at the enclosure in 1815, and is let for £5.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Fredk. Brighton's. Letters per mail cart arrive at 3.30 a.m., delivered at 7 a.m., despatched at 9 p.m. Sunday Box closes at 7.30 p.m., via Thetford, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Barker Thos. farmer, Village farm Brighton Frederick shoemaker, & post office Burrell Chas. farmer, Croxton lodge; h St. Mary's Hospital, Thetford Butcher James police constable Cole Edward Noah farmer, Croxton hall, clerk to the Thetford union and superintendent registrar Daniel Arthur farmer, Bulwer hall Garland Miss Mary National schoolmistress Elizabeth Howlett Alf. coal dlr. & pork butcher Howlett Mrs Elizabeth beerhouse Matthew Benjamin farm bailiff to W.D. Mackenzie, Esq Rayner Wm. blacksmith & vict. Bell Sims James George land and estate agent, Hill house Smith Richard parish clerk & sexton Taylor Walter wheelwright & blksmth
From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:
In the first paragraph, for
"Grimshoe hundred, Gallow petty sessional division"
"Grimshoe hundred and petty sessional division".
See also the Croxton near Thetford parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.