"DIDLINGTON parish, 8 miles S. by W. of Swaffham, has only 77 inhabitants, and about 1322 acres of land, all belonging to the Rt. Hon. and Rev. Henry Wilson, Lord Berners, who resides at Kirby Cane Rectory, and his son at Didlington Hall, a neat brick mansion, in a small park, with some fine water, lime trees, and an extensive heronry. The hall was built on the site of the old one, by the late Col. Wilson, father of the late Lord Berners, who died in 1838. It has a good collection of paintings, by Holbein, Vandyke, and other old masters. The family of Bouchier held the title of BARON BERNERS, from 1455 till 1532; after which it lay dormant till 1720, when Catherine Bokenham was created Baroness Berners, as heiress of the Bouchier family. . . . The CHURCH (St. Michael) is an ancient fabric, in the park, and has some fragments of stained glass in its windows, and a large square tower. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £12.14s.7d., and in 1831 at £110, with the rectory of Colveston annexed to it, in the gift of Lord Berners, and incumbency of the Rev. Vincent Edward Eyre, of Cranwich." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Paddy Apling]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Cranwich, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Michael.
- Farrow, Charles W. and Palgrave-Moore, Patrick
- Didlington with Colveston Parish Registers, 1691-1837; transcribed and indexed.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Genealogical Society, Parish Registers of Norfolk Monograph Series No.9, 1986]
- Parish Register Transcripts
- Baptisms 1813-1880
- These are included in Boyd's Marriage Index.
They are not included in Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1854: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1864: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1883: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1883: Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk
- 1937: Kelly's Directory of Norfolk
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Directories
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Didlington to another place.
Didlington is in South Greenhoe hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which Didlington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Davison, Alan J.
- The Deserted Village of Didlington.
[Norwich, Norfolk Archaeological and Historical Research Group (NAHRG), in "NAHRG Bulletin", no.3, 1994]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL779969 (Lat/Lon: 52.541024, 0.62124), Didlington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)