William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Helen Neave]
DILHAM, a pleasant scattered village, nearly 5 miles S.S.E. of North Walsham, has in its parish 488 souls, and 1563A. of land, on the south-west side of the small, but navigable river Ant.
The soil belongs chiefly to W. H. Windham and S. T. Taylor, Esqrs. The former is lord of the manor, (fines arbitrary,) and the latter has a handsome seat here, called Hill House, and one of the prettiest pleasure grounds in the county, which, during the last 20 years, has been formed at much labour and expense, in what was previously a morass of 25 acres. Instead of a bog, this now delightful spot presents a fine lake, with six ornamental islands, approached by swing bridges, and one of them having a handsome summer-house. The lake or fish-pond is encompassed by beautiful walks, margined with trees and shrubs, and the whole is encompassed by a moat.
Dilham Staith, on the east side of the parish, is a hamlet on the navigation, partly in Smallburgh parish, and near it is Dilham Mill, with a dam of 15A. formed about 17 years ago.
The CHURCH (St. Nicholas,) was rebuilt about 20 years ago of brick, except the round flint tower which was re-constructed of the old materials.
The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5. 7s. 4d., and in 1831 at £272, with that of Honing annexed to it, is in the gift of the Bishop of Ely, and incumbency of the Rev. Hicks Deacle, of Coltishall. The rectorial tithes of both parishes belong to Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge. The tithes of Dilham were commuted in 1838 for £315. 9s. 3d. per annum to the appropriators, and £163. 6s. 7d. to the vicar.
Bates Benjamin shoemaker Gott James corn miller Gower Geo. farmer [see note below] Greenacre Thos. tonnage dues colr. Houghton Robert shoemaker Lacey John vict. Cross Keys Mattison Wm. maltster, and ale, porter, and coal mert. & lime burner Nash Saml. farmer [see note below] Norfor Mr William land & tithe agent and valuer, and agent to Farmers' Insurance Company Page Robert butcher and farmer Rump Wm. shopkeeper and tailor Sadler Henry corn miller Southgate Wm. tea hawker Taylor Shepherd Hill House Thomas, Esq. Taylor John farmer, Hall Wells Wm. gentleman Wells Wm. Harrison corn miller, The Mills Wicks Henry excise officer
Note: in the original, the entry is:
"Gower Geo. and Nash Saml. farmers"
See also the Dilham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.