William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
DILHAM, a pleasant scattered village, nearly 5 miles S.S.E. of North Walsham, had in its parish 426 inhabitants in 1881, and 1563 acres of land, on the south-west side of the small but navigable river Ant. It is in Smallburgh union, Tunstead hundred, Tunstead and Happing petty sessional division, North Walsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, North Walsham polling district of North Norfolk, Norfolk archdeaconry, and Waxham rural deanery. The rateable value in 1881 was £3049, and the gross estimated rental £3478 5s.
The soil belongs chiefly to W.F. Windham and H. Morse Taylor, Esqrs. The former is lord of the manor, in which the fines are arbitrary. The latter resides at the Rookery, which has one of the prettiest pleasure-grounds in the county, formed at much expense, in what was previously a morass of 25 acres. Instead of a bog there are now six islands connected by ornamental bridges, and having a summer house on one island. Trees and rhododendrons flourish in great abundance, and there are walks all about the place. Miss Charlotte Taylor occupies Hill House, and Mrs. Fanny Taylor the Hall.
Dilham Staith, on the east side of the parish, is a hamlet on the navigation, partly in Smallburgh parish; and Dilham Mill, with a dam of 25 acres formed in 1828, is occupied by Mr. John Shreeve.
The CHURCH (St. Nicholas) comprises nave, chancel, south porch, and embattled round tower of flint, with one bell. It was rebuilt in 1820 of brick, except the tower, which was re-constructed of the old materials.
The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5 7s. 4d., [and] now at £325, with that of Honing annexed to it, is in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich. The Rev. J.A. Laurence, B.A., is the vicar, who has a good vicarage house, built in 1871, at a cost of £1200. The rectorial tithes of both parishes belong to the dean and chapter of Norwich. The tithes of Dilham were commuted in 1838 for £308 per annum to the appropriators, and £163 6s. 7d. to the vicar.
The Primitive Methodists have a chapel with schoolroom here, built in 1869, at a cost of £150, and having 140 sittings. The National School, built in 1875, is supported by subscription, and attended by 70 children.
POST from Norwich, via Smallburgh. Wall Letter Box cleared at 3.30 p.m. on week days only.
Cubitt John farm bailiff Deynes William farmer, Flint house Dix Mrs. The Grange Doughty George miller Fandam William grocer and draper Gardener Henry Newstead farmer Grimes James shoemaker Harmer Mrs Matilda victualler, Cross Keys Inn Jowlings Mr Anthony Melbourne hs Keates Miss My. Ann Eliza schlmstrss Laurence Rev. John vicar, The Vicarage, Alfred, B.A. & vicar of Honing Lowne Edmund parish clerk Nickolds Miss M. schoolmistress Page John butcher and farmer Shreeve George Holland miller, corn merchant, and farmer Siely James Cubitt farmer Taylor Miss Charlotte Hill house Taylor Mrs Fanny The Hall Taylor H. Morse landowner, The Rookery
See also the Dilham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.