"DUNHAM, (GREAT) 6 miles N.E. of Swaffham, and 2 miles S. by W. of Litcham, is a scattered village and parish, containing 520 souls, and about 2000A. of land, belonging to F.W. Keppel, Esq., Capt. Davy, the Rev. J. Humfrey, Major Loftus, and several smaller proprietors; and partly in the manors of East and West Lexham. The CHURCH (St. Andrew,) is an interesting Anglo-Saxon structure, with a tower between the nave and chancel. The interior has lately been cleansed and repaired under the direction of the present curate, and contains a curious font and piscina. Fragments of a Roman altar, and the foundations of another church, which was dedicated to St. Mary, have recently been discovered in the garden attached to the Rectory House. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12.1s.10½d., was anciently in two medieties, and is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. John Humfrey, M.A., of Wroxham Hall, who has a manor here, and has lately erected a commodious National School near the church. The glebe is 44A. 16P., and the tithes were commuted in 1840 for £562 per annum. Here are three small chapels, belonging to the Baptists, and the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Susan Well]
See also Little Dunham.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brisley, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Andrew.
There was also a church dedicated to St Mary.
- Church of St Andrew
- Description and pictures.
- Church of St Andrew
- Services, etc.
- Carthew, George Alfred
- Notices of the Saxon or Early Norman Church of Great Dunham.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol.1, 1847]
- Great Dunham Chapel
- Reminiscences of Great Dunham Chapel.
[The Chapel, 1998]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Great Dunham to another place.
Great Dunham is in Launditch Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Launditch Hundred
- Description of Launditch Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Great Dunham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain. Inclosure Commissioners
- Statement of Claims (39): East Lexham and Great Dunham.
Drawn up in pursuance of the Act of Inclosure, 1795.
- Great Britain: Statute
- East Lexham and Great Dunham Inclosure Act, 1795.
An act for dividing, allotting and inclosing the whole-year lands, common fields, half-year or shack lands, commons and waste grounds within the parishes of East Lexham and Great Dunham in the county of Norfolk.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF872143 (Lat/Lon: 52.693656, 0.7681), Great Dunham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1841 or 1851 Census
- "Several persons have emigrated from Great Dunham Parish since 1831."