Norfolk: Little Dunham
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Susan Well]
DUNHAM, (LITTLE) a village and parish, 1 mile S. of Graet [sic] Dunham, and 5 miles N.E. of Swaffham, has 298 souls and 1837A. 2R. 30P. of fertile land, mostly the property of Sir C.M. Clarke (lord of the manor,) W.O. Locke, Esq., Mr. Wm. Large, and Mr. John Jackson. Sir Charles Mansfield Clarke, M.D., was created a baronet in 1831, and resides at Dunham Lodge, a neat mansion, erected in 1783 by Edward Parry, Esq., on a commanding eminence. Sir Charles is about to leave Norfolk, and has advertised the Lodge and 300A. of land for sale. (January, 1845.)
The CHURCH (St. Margaret,) is a small antique fabric, with a square tower. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9. 16s., and now having 24A. 2R. 19P. of glebe, and a yearly rent of about £500 awarded in 1840, in lieu of tithes. The Rev. John Nelson, of Beeston, is patron and incumbent.
Here is a small Primitive Methodist chapel.
The Poor's Allotment, awarded in 1796, contains 35A. 1R. 22P., let for £40, which is distributed in coals. The poor have also the interest of £10, left by an unknown donor; 10s. a year, left by Wm. Nelson, in 1772; and a house in Lynn, left by Thomas Warne, at an early period, and now let for £19. 19s.
Amos Benjamin butcher Chamberlayne John blacksmith Greengrass Wm. baker Hubbard Richard farmer Jackson John owner and farmer Lawson Wm. shopkeeper Long Wm. farmer Nelson Rev John, jun. curate Pilgrim Edward schoolmaster Powley Bartholomew farmer Snasdell Ann vict. Black Swan Watts Mr George Wells Denis spirit & porter mercht
See also the Little Dunham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.