Norfolk: Little Dunham
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
DUNHAM (LITTLE), a parish, 1 mile S. of Great Dunham, and 5 miles N.E. of Swaffham, is in Mitford union, Swaffham county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, Launditch hundred and petty sessional division, Swaffham polling district of West Norfolk, Brisley rural deanery and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 293 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1835 acres, and has a rateable value of £3072.
George Copeman, Esq., is the lord of the manor, and resides at Dunham Lodge, which was built in 1783, by Edward Parry, Esq., and stands in a well wooded lawn of 90 acres, commanding extensive views. The principal landowners in this parish are Mr. William Large, G. Copeman, Esq., and Mrs Bushby, of Fring Hall in this county.
The CHURCH (St. Margaret), in the Early Decorated style, with some Early English windows, comprises a nave, chancel, north aisle, and south porch. The tower was rebuilt in the 15th century. The Church was restored in 1862, chiefly by the subscriptions of the parishioners, the font, pulpit, altar rail, &c. being presented by private donors. Some improvement was effected in the chancel roof in 1868, and two of the windows were renewed, the east window being filled with stained glass, the gift of the Rev. E. Montague Hare and his wife. The living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £9 16s.
The tithes were commuted in 1840 for a rent-charge of £500. There are 24 acres of glebe. The present rector is the Rev. E. Montague Hare, M.A., Oxford. The patronage of the living is vested in the trustees of the late Mrs. E. M. Hare.
The School was built by subscription in 1872, and is maintained by voluntary contributions. Here is a small Primitive Methodist Chapel. The poor inhabitants have an allotment, awarded in 1726, containing over 35 acres. The proceeds of which are spent in coals for their use. There is also a charity bequeathed to them by Thomas Warne.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Hy. Boyce's. Letters arrive at 5.20 a.m., and are despatched at 7 p.m., by mail cart viâ Swaffham. Litcham is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Archer Robert parish clerk Bird Mrs Eliza dressmaker Bird Robert shoemaker Boyce Hy. jobbing grdner. & postmstr Boyce Mrs Sarah Ann dressmaker Chamberlain John blacksmith Clarke Charles pork butcher Coe James vict. Swan Cook J. T. corn mert. Railway Station Copeman Mr. George Dunham lodge Durrant John baker & flour dealer Hare Rev. E. M., M.A. rector, The Rectory Huson Mrs. Mary Ann shopkeeper Large William farmer and landowner Larwood John farmer Marriott John & Robert coal merts. Railway Station Rix Wm. vict. Crown, and coal agent Thompson Robert gardener Thompson Thomas farmer Trundle George miller, Sporle Williams Miss Elizth. schoolmistress RAILWAY STATION: Underhill Charles stationmaster
See also the Little Dunham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.