"EASTON, a village and parish on the Dereham road, 6 miles W. by N. of Norwich, has 279 souls, and 1574 acres of land, lying mostly in the manor of Costessey; but the greater part of the soil belongs to T.T. Berney and Robert Fellowes, Esqrs. The latter is patron of the vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £7. 11s. 10d., and augmented with £400 in 1796. The Rev. J.C. Matchett, M.A., of Norwich, is the incumbent. The Church (St. Peter,) is a small structure, with a belfry, but its tower fell down about 1778. Cardinal Easton, who flourished in the reign of Richard II., was a native of the parish. Here is a heath of 60A., on which the poor formerly cut fuel." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
See also Eaton.
Not all memorials may be included, even when a transcription is marked as complete, for example when stones are not legible enough to be read or photographed.
- Mid-Norfolk Family History Society
- Memorial Inscriptions of the Church and Churchyard of St Peter, Easton, Norfolk.
[Mid-Norfolk Family History Society, 2012]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Hingham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Peter.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Easton to another place.
Easton is in Forehoe Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Forehoe Hundred
- Description of Forehoe Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Easton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Burt, Roger M.
- A Brief History of Easton, Norfolk.
- Easton Village History Project
- The Book of Easton: Memories of Cardinal Adam de Easton's birthplace.
[ISBN 1841143391, Halsgrove, 2004]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG136109 (Lat/Lon: 52.653791, 1.156309), Easton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1861 Census
- "The decrease of population in the parish of Easton is attributed to the migration of young persons."