William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
EASTON, a village and parish on the Dereham road, 6 miles W. by N. of Norwich, has 279 souls, and 1574 acres of land, lying mostly in the manor of Costessey; but the greater part of the soil belongs to T.T. Berney and Robert Fellowes, Esqrs.
The latter is patron of the vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £7. 11s. 10d., and augmented with £400 in 1796. The Rev. J.C. Matchett, M.A., of Norwich, is the incumbent. The Church (St. Peter,) is a small structure, with a belfry, but its tower fell down about 1778.
Cardinal Easton, who flourished in the reign of Richard II., was a native of the parish.
Here is a heath of 60A., on which the poor formerly cut fuel. The tithes were commuted in 1845.
Badcock Edw. blacksmith Buxton Henry vict., Dog Fountaine Mrs. Eliz. West Lodge Oakes Col. Richard chief constable of Norfolk, Montagu Easton Lodge farmers. Godfrey Thos. Pitcher Kirk Read George (Vauxhall manor) Rix James
Note: the format of the directory has been changed.
See also the Easton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.