"EATON, 2 miles S.W. of Norwich, is also in the vale of the Yare. The manor is about 1300 acres, and belongs to the Dean and Chapter, but the soil is let to a number of lessees, many of whom have handsome houses here. . . . EATON CHURCH, dedicated to St. Andrew the Apostle, stands also on the Yare, about 2 miles S.W. of the [Norwich] Market place, and is a long ancient fabric, covered with thatch, and having an embattled tower, with two bells. It is a vicarage, not in charge, valued, in 1831, at £87, and augmented, in 1732, with £200 given by the Earl of Thanet, and £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty. The Dean and Chapter are patrons, and the Rev. George Day, A.M., incumbent." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
It is a hamlet of the city, and more information may be found in the Norwich records.
|Church(Church Ln), Eaton, Congregational|
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Humbleyard, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
Until 1857 it had been in the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Andrew the Apostle.
- Churches of St Andrew and Christ Church
- Description, pictures, services, etc.
- Boileau, Sir John Peter
- Notes on some mural paintings lately discovered in Eaton Church.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol.6, 1864]
- Christchurch, Eaton, 1872-1972, a brief historical survey.
[Eaton, The Church, 1972]
- Eaton, Frederic R.
- Notes on the parish church (St Andrew) of Eaton, Norwich.
[Norwich, Soman-Wherry Press, 1953]
- Hepworth, Philip
- Eaton parish and its churches (St Andrew, and Christchurch).
[Norwich, Eaton Parochial Church Council, 1978]
- Brister, Jack
- Eaton golf club, the first 85 years.
[Printed by B.D. and H., 1996]
- Eaton Rise Residents Association
- Eaton Rise.
[Norwich, Eaton Rise Residents Association, 2001]
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1883: Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk
(This is the Norwich directory - make a search for "Eaton").
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Directories
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Eaton to another place.
Eaton is in the County of the City of Norwich.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for the County of the City of Norwich
You can see the administrative areas in which Eaton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Rye, Walter
- History of the parish of Eaton in the city of Norwich.
[Norwich, Roberts, 1917, Rye's monographs of Norwich hamlets;1)
- Tillett, Edward A.
- Norwich Scrapbooks: Norwich Hamlets: Vol.1: Eaton, Earlham and Hellesdon.
Newspaper articles, photographs, postcards, extracts from Blomefield, etc.
[In Norwich Local Studies Library, 1900s]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG210067 (Lat/Lon: 52.613472, 1.262741), Eaton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)