Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Norfolk: Great Ellingham

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Norfolk: Great Ellingham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

ELLINGHAM (GREAT) is a scattered village, 2 miles N.W. of Attleborough, and its parish is in Wayland union, Attleborough county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Shropham hundred, Attleborough polling district of South Norfolk, Rockland rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 652 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2733 acres, and has a rateable value of £5014.

The soil is mostly the property of Lord Walsingham and Messrs. George Barnard, Henry Norton, and George Tyrell Tyrell [sic]. Lord Walsingham is lord of the largest manor, Bury hall, in which the fines are arbitrary, and the rest of the parish is in Ellingham hall and the Rectory manors, of which Thomas Lombe Taylor, Esq., is lord. The Hall, an ancient moated farmhouse, formerly the seat of Sir Roger Potts, Kt., is the property of George Barnard, Esq., but is now occupied by Henry Cobon, Esq. A remarkably fine stone celt and a brass battle axe were discovered some years ago on the estate of the late R. Barnard, Esq.

The CHURCH (St. James the Apostle) is a large structure, comprising nave, aisles, chancel, and square tower with spire and five bells. The piscina and sedilia still remain. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6 5s. 10d., was augmented in 1722-3 with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty and £200 given by the Rev. J. Cator. It is consolidated with the rectory of Little Ellingham (which see). The tithes of this parish were commuted in 1843 for about £430 to the impropriator, T.L. Taylor, Esq.: £242 to the vicar, about £60 a year to the vicar of Carbrook, £95 to the representatives of the late Rev. R. Ingram, and about £70 to the Rector of Little Ellingham.

Here are two chapels belonging to the Baptists and Wesleyans. The former has an endowment of £30 a year, and was built in 1824, and enlarged in 1848.

The Fuel Allotment, 54A. 1R. 32P., was awarded at the enclosure in 1799, and is at present let for about £73.

There is a NATIONAL SCHOOL, attended by 60 scholars, and supported by voluntary contributions. There is also a SCHOOL BOARD, having under its control a school for the accommodation of 60 or 65 children.

POST OFFICE at Mr. Edmund Fox's. Letters are received at 4.50 a.m., and despatched at 8.40 p.m., viâ Attleborough, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.

         Bailey       George           farmer and owner
         Barlow       George           farmer
         Bowden       Robert           farmer
         Bowles       Walter           farmer; h Rockland
         Brighton     William          farmer
         Butler       George           miller and baker
         Caddy        Thomas           farmer
         Carter       Ellis            threshing machine owner and
                                         victualler, The Chequers
         Carter       James            farmer and drill-owner
         Carter       William Charles  schoolmaster
         Childerhouse Robt.            frmr.; h Attleboro'
         Clarke       William          farmer
         Cobon        Henry            farmer, Ellingham hall
         Colman       Henry            farmer
         Colman       Thomas Hovel     farmer; h Rockland, St. Peter's
         Dixon        F.               grocer, draper and general dealer
         Dixon        Samuel           farmer
         Downes       John             farmer
         Ducker       James            coal dealer & shopkpr
         Earle        Richard          farmer
         Edwards      George           shoemaker
         Fox          Edmund           tailor and postmaster
         Frost        Robert           farmer and owner
         Grice        Frederick        farmer
         Hart         Mark             farmer and fowl dealer
         Houchen      Francis          bricklayer & farmer
         Houchen      Jonathan         farmer
         Jude         George           farmer
         Kerrison     Wm.              bricklayer and farmer
         Kybird       Wm. Robt.        wheelwright & crpntr
         Lane         Benj.            vict. The Prince of Wales
         Lane         James            farmer and owner
         Lebbell      Robert           blacksmith and vict. The Crown Inn
         Lebbell      Robert Barnard   blacksmith
         Lebbell      Wm.              carpenter and builder, and agent
                                         for Liverpool, London, and Globe
                                         Insurance Co
         Leverington  Jas.             frmr.; h Attleborough
         Mace         John             farmer, vict. and farrier,
                                         The Queen's Head
         Mann         Jno. Edwd.       frmr. & (h) Rockland
         Mathews      James            farmer and owner
         Meek         John             blacksmith
         Neal         Alfred           farmer
         Nurse        Jacob            farm bailiff
         Painter      George           farmer
         Pease        Robert           farmer
         Reynolds     William          farrier
         Rivett       Charles          farmer
         Rivett       Mrs Mary         farmer
         Rushbrooke
           Bros.                       farmers; & Scoulton
         Rushbrooke   Alban            farmer (Rushbrooke Bros.) Berry hall
         Rushbrooke   Ernest Edwin     (Rushbrooke Bros.) Berry hall
         Saunders     Mrs A.           schoolmistress
         Self         Leonard Wm.      farmer and dealer
         Spurgeon     Robert           shoemaker
         Stubings     Charles          butcher and farmer
         Surrage      Charles          farmer
         Toll         Rev. James       (retired Baptist)
         Tufts        William          fowl dealer
         Warren       Harry            harness mkr. & shopkpr
         Wilkins      Mrs Anne         shopkeeper
         Wright       Samuel           farmer & fowl dealer
         Wright       William          farmer
 

CARRIERS - Jno. Raynor passes through from Rockland to Norwich Wed. & Sat.; John Dye from Rockland to Norwich Tues. and Fri.


See also the Great Ellingham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
June 2014