Norfolk: North Elmham
Hunt's Directory of East Norfolk with Part of Suffolk, 1850
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
ELMHAM, or NORTH ELMHAM, formerly a fortified city, and the favourite seat of the early Bishops of Norwich, is a well built village, having a station on the Norfolk railway, 5 miles N. of East Dereham, and 18 miles N.W. by W. of Norwich. The castle stood on an elevation above the village, and was the manor house of the martial Bishop Spencer, who by permission of Richard II. had it embattled and converted into a fortress, with moats, intrenchments, and other military defences.
In the parish are two extensive and well wooded parks, in one of which, on an eminence above a lake, is Elmham Hall, the beautiful seat of Lord Sondes. The building is a large mansion of brick, and the park - abounding in deer and other game - is thickly studded with stately trees, and irrigated by the waters flowing from a little brook, which feeds the lake and falls into the Waveney.
|Here rising boughs, with summer's pride, adorn
The limpid lake, the ever verdant lawn,
And softly stealing from the woody lair
Out stalks the deer, or frisks the timid hare,
Whilst gently perching on the leafy spray
Each feather'd warbler tunes his fav'rite lay.
The parish, rich in rural charms, comprises an area of 4400 acres, and the population in 1841 was 1219. Post Office, at William Diggens's. Letters delivered at 8 a.m. and despatched to Norwich, and all parts, via Dereham, at 6 p.m.
Sondes Lord the Hall Atkinson Mr. Charles Bell Philip saddler Bensley George shoemaker Bradfield Chas. painter, glazier, &c. Bradfield Frances 'King's Head Inn' Brunton Benj. painter, glazier, &c. Bryant William grocery dealer Calver William shoemaker Chapling John tailor Clarke Henry shoemaker Cook Elijah grocery dealer Cook Jeremiah cooper Cooper John tailor Copsey Thomas pump maker Cushing Francis bricklayer & bldr. Diggens Wm. baker & confectioner Elmer Jno. tailor, registrar of births and deaths Emms Hy. jun. veterinary surgeon Fenn James 'King William' Fisher Mrs. Money Goshawk Henry baker Hoe Philip grocery dealer Howell Robert tailor Jewell Samuel veterinary surgeon Knatchbull Rev. Henry Edward Lambert Charles gardener Mason Mrs. Sarah Mayston John butcher Monument John blacksmith Neal James bricklayer Nicholson George butcher Nicholson George grocery dealer Norton Edw. 'the George & Dragon' Norton Robert miller Pratt Jonathan grocer and draper Ransom Peter Parlett surgeon Reynolds John F. relieving officer Rogers Rd. & Sophia natl. school Sands William grocer and draper Seaman Robert steward to Lord Sondes Sussens Edward grocery dealer and carpenter Tombling Benjamin shoemaker Tombling Robert carpenter Tombling William carpenter Tuck Thomas baker Twiddy George shoemaker Upton William bricklayer Utting Thomas wheelwright Watts Robert B. porter merchant Ward James blacksmith Webb John basket & sieve maker Wells John saddler Willby Samuel tailor Willimont Mr. Howlett Yull Peter tinman and brazier Farmers. Bird John Englebright Thomas Bradfield Charles Hawes William Bradfield James Howell Dinah Bradfield Fisher Hubbard James Bradfield Frances Mayston Joshua Bradfield William Monument John Bream Thomas Rudd Norton Robert Bunn James Rix William, Eastoe William Old Hall Elmer Robert, Whiter William Grange farm Willimont John Kirby, (and Elmer William coal dealer)
CARRIERS to Lynn, Tombling, Mon.; to Norwich, Spooner; and also Tombling, both on Friday.
RAILWAY CONVEYANCE. - Trains several times daily to all places on the Eastern Counties and Norfolk lines.
See also the North Elmham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.