"ELSING, a long straggling village on the south side of the vale of the Wensum, 5 miles E.N.E. of East Dereham, has in its parish 457 souls, and 1535A. 2R. 32P. of land, mostly the property of E. Lombe, Esq., and the Rev. Richard Eaton, A.B., the latter of whom is lord of the manor, and is about to assume the name of Browne, as his late father died when he succeeded to the Elsing Hall Estate. He is also patron and incumbent of the Church, which has a square tower and five bells, and has in its east window figures of Hugh de Hastings and his wife, and in its chancel a mutilated brass, in memory of Sir Anthony Browne." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
Elsing is about 6 miles S.W. of Reepham.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Sparham, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin.
- The Church
- The Church of St Mary the Virgin, Elsing.
[Elsing, The Church, 1970s]
- Manning, Charles Robertson
- Elsing Church.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology, vol.6, 1864]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Elsing to another place.
Elsing is in Eynsford Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Eynsford Hundred
- Description of Eynsford Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Elsing has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Jeckell, Thomas
- Brief remarks on Elsing Hall.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol.6, 1864]
- Great Britain: Statute
- Elsing Inclosure Act, 1841.
An act for dividing, allotting, and inclosing lands in the parish of Elsing in the county of Norfolk: 21st June 1841.
[London, George Edward Eyre and Andrew Spottiswoode, 1841]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG054169 (Lat/Lon: 52.710559, 1.038636), Elsing which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)