William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
EMNETH is a large village near the Wisbech Canal, 14 miles S.W. of Lynn, and 2 miles S.S.E. of Wisbech - but its parish extends close to the latter town - is in Freebridge Marshland hundred, and petty sessional division, Wisbech union and county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, Walsoken polling district of West Norfolk, Wisbech rural deanery and archdeaconry, and Ely diocese. It has a rateable value of about £6528. In 1881 it contained 1001 inhabitants, and has about 3449 acres of fertile land, belonging to a number of freeholders and copyholders, many of whom are residents.
F.M. Metcalfe, Esq., of Inglethorpe hall, is lord of the manor of Hakbech and Inglethorpe, which anciently belonged to the Peytons, who resided at Hakbech hall, a handsome mansion, which was taken down in 1806. Sir Adam De Hakbech held a manor of the Prior of Lewes, and founded the chantry of St. Mary in 1277, on the site of the present south aisle of the chancel. Oxburgh hall was formerly the residence of the Oxburgh and Hewar families.
Emneth station, on the Lynn and Wisbech Railway, is in the adjoining parish of Walsoken.
The CHURCH (St. Edmund) is an ancient edifice, comprising nave, aisles, chancel, and square tower with five bells, and was restored and reseated in 1866 - the body, by subscription, at a cost of £1718, and the chancel by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, at a cost of £420. The church is mostly of the 15th century, but the arches in the east side of the chancel are of the 12th century. Several of the windows are filled with beautiful stained glass, and the rich rood screen dates from the 15th century.
There are several mural monuments; the indent of a splendid brass of a cross-legged knight, probably Sir Adam de Hakbech; and a fine altar tomb with effigies of Sir Thomas Hewar, his lady, and their infant son, executed by Nicholas Stone, master mason to James the First, who had £95 for it.
The vicarage was consolidated with that of Elm, in the Isle of Ely, till 1858, when it was formed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners into a separate living. It is in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely, in whose diocese it is still situated. The Rev. Edward Henry Lovelock, M.A., is the vicar, and has a good residence in the Elizabethan style, erected in 1859, at a cost of £1500. The tithes of Emneth have been commuted for the following yearly rents: viz. £8 11s. 4d. to the rector of Walsoken, £405 to the incumbent, and £355 to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, for the augmentation of poor livings.
Thomas Squier in 1692 left a house and 26 acres of land for educational purposes for the parishes of Elm and Emneth. The School is at Elm, and is now a public elementary school for boys of the two parishes, and the rent, £74 per annum, is applied towards the expenses of the school, as per new scheme dated 1874.
The rent of the town land, 1A. 1R., is applied with the church rates.
Here is a National School, built in 1859, and attended by 129 girls and infants.
The Wesleyans, Wesleyan Reformers, and Primitive Methodists have each a small chapel in the parish, all built in 1854.
POST OFFICE at Mrs. Mary Hunsley's. Letters arrive at 5.30 a.m., and are despatched at 7.30 p.m., viâ Wisbech, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office. There is a wall letter-box at Hungate, cleared at 6.30 p.m.
Bailey Uriah market gardener Bailey Uriah, jun. market gardener Bailey William Cole farmer Balding Alfred William manager Balding John Smithee pig dealer Baley Richard farmer Barker George farmer Bird Frederick farmer Burgess Thomas farmer Butcher Richard Bland blacksmith Cousins David blacksmith and beerhouse, Hungate Crofts Henry victualler, Blacksmith's Arms; and blacksmith Dearlove Mrs Charlotte Oxburgh hall Dearlove Thos. D. frmr. Oxburgh hall Diggle Robert shopkeeper, Hungate Doubleday Frederick farmer Doubleday Jno. frmr. & market gardener Drew Robert farmer Ekins George William farmer, Fen Frusher Thomas farmer, Hungate Frusher Thos. frmr. Hawkin's Hole Gibson William farmer Goodger Anthony farmer Goose Leonard victualler, Wheatsheaf; and farmer, Hungate Gray John market gardener Gray Thomas hawker Gray William corn miller Green Robert farmer Gromitt John farmer Guttridge John market gardener Guttridge William market gardener Handley Henry farmer Handley Hugh farmer Hanslip James farmer Harvey Robert market gardener Hill John farmer Hopkin Abraham manager Humphrey Benjamin Stockdale farmer, The Grange Hunsley Mrs Mary postmistress Hunsley Robert parish clerk Hunt Mr William Hunter James farmer Hunter James, jun. farmer Hunter Joseph carpenter Hunter William market gardener Jackson John rope manufacturer Lilly John bricklayer Lines John market gardener Lines Thomas bricklayer Long Henry carpenter and builder Lovelock Rev. Edward Hy. M.A. vicar Lynn David farmer Lynn Edward market gardener Lynn John farmer & market gardener Markham George blacksmith Martin James farmer and landowner, The Firs Martin James, jun. farmer Massham Alfred bricklayer Mayhew Jno. vict. Duke of Wellington Metcalfe Frederick Moorehouse, Esq., J.P. Inglethorpe hall Neales Mrs Theresa corn miller and merchant; and at Wisbech Newling Wm. Alfred farmer, Dial hs Oldham Miss Emma schoolmistress Palmer Moses farmer, Trafford house Passlow James pig dealer Racey John grocer and hawker Racey Wm. grocer, baker, and draper Ream Smith farmer Robb Samuel farmer Robb Mr William Rowe Edward farmer Rowe James farmer Sedgfield George farm bailiff Sharp Mr John Robert Sharp Mrs Mary Ann market gardener Sharp Robert Lynn farmer Shepherd William George corn miller Shepperson Mrs Jane Ann Shirekings William farm bailiff Smithee Mrs Rebecca frmr. Hungate Smithee Robert bootmaker Stockings Mrs Thomas Tagg John farmer Terrington John farmer, Hungate Terrington Zachariah farmer Thompson John vict. Queen's Head Thompson John farmer Thompson William beerhouse Tingay Frederick farmer Towler Joseph farmer and landowner Hungate Utteridge Joseph chimney sweeper Wade Jacob Tomlinson farmer Ward George victualler, Swan Ward John farmer Watson Mr James Wright John Newcome farmer, Hungate house
See also the Emneth parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.