"ERPINGHAM, a village and parish on a rivulet, 4 miles N. of Aylsham, gives name to this and an adjoining Hundred, and contains 475 souls, and 1361 acres of fertile land, partly in the Earl of Orford's manor of Calthorpe, and the rest forming the Dowager Lady Suffield's manor of Erpingham, which was anciently held by a family of its own name, one of whom was the chivalrous knight, Sir Thomas Erpingham, who accompanied John, Duke of Lancaster, to Spain, in 1399, and was in all the wars of Henry IV. and V. He was a great benefactor to Norwich, where he built the cathedral gate which bears his name. The copyholders are subject to fines certain. J. Shepheard, and the Rev. George Fish, have neat houses and large estates here. The CHURCH (St. Mary,) is a large fabric, with four bells and a lofty tower, adorned with shields and other ornaments, and formerly having four statues of confessors for pinnacles; but one of them fell down more than a century ago, and killed one of the parishioners. The building was begun by Sir Thomas Erpingham, and finished by Lord Bardolph and his lady. It has recently been new roofed, at the expense of the parish, and handsomely refitted with pews, and open seats, at the cost of the Dowager Lady Suffield, the patroness." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]
Erpingham is also the name of two hundreds (North Erpingham and South Erpingham), the civil registration district, and the poor law union, so a reference to Erpingham could mean this parish, or this area of Norfolk.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Ingworth, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Erpingham to another place.
Erpingham is in South Erpingham Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for South Erpingham Hundred
- Description of South Erpingham Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Erpingham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain. Inclosure Commissioners
- Statement of claims: Erpingham (34), Colby (24), Banningham (19) and Ingworth (20).
Drawn up in pursuance of the Act of Inclosure, 1818.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Erpingham and other parishes Inclosure Act, 1818.
An act for inclosing lands in the parishes of Erpingham, Colby, Banningham, and Ingworth, in the county of Norfolk: (8th May 1818).
[London, George Eyre and Andrew Strahan, 1818]
[London, Ley and Jones, 1818]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG191320 (Lat/Lon: 52.840521, 1.252183), Erpingham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1851 Census
- "To the large number of deaths from scarlatina in the Parishes of Erpingham and Thwaite, is ascribed a decrease of population since 1841."
- Belton, Valerie
- Erpingham Voluntary Controlled School, The Early Years, 1862-1908.
[Reepham Printing Services, 1996]