William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
FELTHORPE, a large parish and scattered village, 7 miles N.W. by N. of Norwich, has several neat houses, 574 inhabitants, and 2242 acres of land, with several flourishing plantations. Here are four manors, the largest of which is a member of Lord Stafford's manor of Costessey, and consists of copyholds, subject to arbitrary fines. The other manors have for their respective lords, the Rector, the Bishop, and W.H. Fellowes, Esq., but the soil is held by a number of proprietors.
The Church (St. Margaret,) is a rectory, valued in the King's books at £4, and in 1831, at £190. It has 23A. of glebe, of which ten were purchased with £200 of Queen Anne's bounty, obtained in 1759. The Bishop of Norwich is the patron, and the Rev. Richard Brickdale the incumbent. The tithes were commuted, in 1841, for £271. 4s. per annum; and a new rectory house has been recently erected.
The Fuel Allotment, 50A., was awarded at the enclosure, in 1780. The poor cut turf upon it, and the feeding is let for £6 a year. In 1687, Wm. Brereton left two tenements and two acres of land for the residence and sole benefit of two poor aged widows; and he bequeathed his other land and house in Felthorpe, and £100, to be invested for the under-mentioned uses.
Besides the almshouse and two acres attached to it, there is now belonging to this charity, a double cottage and 31A. of land, let for £29. 14s. per annum, of which £2. 12s., in weekly sums of 1s., is paid to the two almswomen; 16s. for a sermon; 16s. for land-tax; and the remainder, after paying for the repairs of the cottages and the church, is distributed among the poor parishioners in coals, blankets, &c.
Brickdale Rev Richard Rectory Bowles John horsebreaker Furniss John carpenter Gilham Wm. bricklayer Howe Richd. joiner & vict. Mariners Massingham Henry horse dealer Miller John joiner and parish clerk Moore Robert vict. Bull Newton Thomas shoemaker Wade Clarke blacksmith West Christopher corn miller FARMERS. (* are Owners.) * Austin John * Kendall Anthy. Barnard Henry * Larwood Robt. * Betts Money Moore Robert Buttifant Jacob Norman Eliz. Crickmore Robt. Pratt Richard Drane James Punt Elizabeth Fox John * Smith Wm. (Saw Mills) Tuck Samuel * Hastings Wm. Walker Isaac Howlett Eliz. West Christopher * Ives James Woodrow Richd. Shopkeepers. Gayley George Gilham Eliz. Larwood Robert Smith Samuel Turner John
See also the Felthorpe parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.