William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
FELTHORPE, a parish and village, 7 miles N.W. by N. of Norwich, is in St. Faith's union, Norwich county court and bankruptcy district, Taverham petty sessional district, St. Faith's polling district of South Norfolk, Taverham hundred and rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It contains 2242 acres of land, and 483 inhabitants. The rateable value is £1687 10s. In the parish are several flourishing plantations.
Here are four manors, the largest of which is a member of Lord Stafford's manor of Costessey, and consists of copyholds, subject to arbitrary fines. The other manors have for their respective lords the Rector, the Bishop, and Edward Fellowes, Esq., M.P. The latter owns the Hall, a handsome white brick mansion. S.G. Buxton, Esq., the trustees of the late R. Marsham, Esq., and some smaller owners, have estates here.
The CHURCH (St. Margaret) is a neat edifice, comprising nave with aisles, chancel, north porch, and square tower with one bell. It was thoroughly restored by the late Mrs. Fellowes, in 1846, when the south aisle was added, and the old pews were replaced by handsome open seats. The windows are the gift of Major Bourchier, those in the nave representing the miracles. The east window is in memory of his brother, Col. Claud Bourchier, V.C., late of the Rifle Brigade. The piscina still remains.
The rectory, valued in the King's Books at £4, has 33A. of glebe, of which ten, situate in the parish of Ilketshall St. John, near Bungay, were purchased with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, obtained in 1759. The Bishop of Norwich is patron, and the Rev. George Downing Dewé, M.A., is the incumbent. The tithes were commuted, in 1841, for £271 4s. per annum; and a rectory house was erected, at a cost of £800, in 1840.
The School, a neat brick building, with residence attached, is attended by 70 children, and was built in 1846, by E. Fellowes, Esq., of Haveland [sic] Hall, who still mainly supports it, with the assistance of a voluntary rate.
Here is a small Independent Chapel.
The Fuel Allotment, 46A., was awarded at the enclosure in 1780. The poor cut turf upon it, and the feeding is let for £9 a year. In 1687, William Brereton left two tenements and two acres of land (let for £2 a year) for the residence and sole benefit of two poor aged widows; and he bequeathed his other land and house in Felthorpe, and £100 to be invested, for charitable purposes in the parish. The charity is at present administered in accordance with an order of H.M. Charity Commissioners, dated May 11, 1866. Besides the almshouse and two acres attached to it, there are now belonging to this charity a double cottage and 30A. of land, let for £44 per annum; 4s. per week are paid to two almswomen, and the remainder, after paying for the repairs of the cottages and the church, is distributed among the poor parishioners, generally in coal.
POST, viâ Norwich. Letter Box cleared at 4p.m. Nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office at Reepham.
Adams William shoemaker Barrett Francis tailor Bourchier Major Jas. Jno. J.P. The Hall Dewe Rev. George Downing M.A. The Rectory Firth Joseph carpenter and builder French Wallace pork btchr. & shopkpr Girling Robert farmer Gray Samuel farmer, Hall farm Gray Wm. Henry farmer, butcher, & victualler, The Marines Harvey Robert frmr. Church farm Hastings William farmer and owner Hickling John Shepherd farmer; h Cawston Howard Samuel farmer and vict. The Marsham Arms Ketteridge Miss Alice Kate schlmstrs Larkman James farmer McMichael James farmer Newton Richard shoemaker Palmer George bricklayer & shopkpr Plummer Michael farmer Scott William shopkeeper Shreeve Thomas Wm. miller & farmer Wade Clarke blacksmith & iron fndr Wright John Joseph blacksmith
From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:
The rateable value is £1563.
From 'Edward Fellowes, Esq., M.P.' take out 'M.P.;'
for the 'trustees of the late R. Marsham, Esq.,' read 'Charles Marsham, Esq.'
for 'Independent,' read 'Baptist;'
in the seventh paragraph, for '30A.,' read '31A.;' and for '£44,' read '£41.'
In Directory, for Gray Wm. Hy. the 'Marines,' read 'Mariners;' for 'Ketteridge,' read 'Kitteridge;' take out 'Larkman James, farmer;' and for Plummer 'Michael,' farmer, read 'Mrs.'
See also the Felthorpe parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.