William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
FISHLEY, 7½ miles W.N.W. of Yarmouth, is a decayed parish, united with Upton for the support of the poor and roads, and containing only ten inhabitants, and 475A. 3R. 26P. of land all in one farm, occupied by Mr. John Squire, of Fishley Hall, (a large and ancient mansion which was refronted a few years ago,) but belonging to Miss Edwards, of Hardingham, who is also patroness of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5, and now in the incumbency of the Rev. Joseph Potter, M.A., of Lingwood. The glebe is 4A. 3R. 10P., and the tithes were commuted in 1841 for £167. 3s. 3¾d., of which £2 go to the Bishop of Norwich and £1 to the vicar of Upton.
The Church (St. Mary) is a small but neat structure of early English architecture, and was almost entirely rebuilt by Miss Edwards in 1861, at a cost of about £1000. It consists of nave, chancel, south porch, and circular embattled tower with one bell. The pulpit, reading desk, and font are handsome, and the seats are open benches with poppy heads. The east window is filled with stained glass in memory of the late Rev. Edward Marsham; and here is a good harmonium. During the restoration, two stone coffin lids, with floriated crosses upon them, were found, and are now in the churchyard.
POST from Norwich, via Acle.
There is no list of inhabitants.
See also the Fishley parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.