Norfolk: Forncett St Mary
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]
FORNCETT ST. MARY, 11 miles S.S.W. of Norwich, and 6 miles N.E. of New Buckenham, has in its parish 305 souls and 731 acres of land, belonging to several copyholders, (fines arbitrary,) and forming the head manor of the Liberty of the Duke of Norfolk, which comprises 127 parishes in this county, and formerly had a court here every three weeks. H. Birkbeck, Esq., and the Girls' Hospital, Norwich, have estates here.
The Church is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £20, and in 1831, at £982, with that of Forncett* St. Peter annexed to it, in the patronage of the Earl of Effingham, and incumbency of the Rev. John D. Lane, A.M. The incumbent must be a fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge. The tithes here have been commuted for £309 13s. 5d. per annum.
The Town Land, 4A. 31P., received in exchange at the enclosure in 1809, is let for £6 16s., which is applied towards the support of a National School, which was built by the late rector, in 1815, for the two Forncett parishes.
Bell Rev. Jph. curate Brewster Henry blacksmith Clarke Isaac shoemaker Harvey Canham beer seller Woods Eunice schoolmistress farmers Baker Benj. Barnes George Beverley Michael Hurn James Jeffries Rt. Ludkin John Mickleburgh John Spicer John Todd Susan
* Note, in the original the spelling is Fornett.
See also the Forncett St Mary parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.