"FOULDEN, or FOULDON parish, has a large straggling village, 8 miles S.S.W. of Swaffham, and contains 500 inhabitants, and upwards of 3354 acres of land, mostly the property of W. G. T. D. Tyssen, Esq., H. B. Caldwell, Esq., and Mrs. Horrex; the first of whom is lord of Latimer's manor, and resides at FOULDEN HALL, a modern mansion; but Lord Berners is lord of Warren's manor. The CHURCH (All Saints) is an ancient building, of which the tower is an ivy-mantled ruin, but the rest of the fabric, after being long in a dilapidated state, has recently been thoroughly repaired. The screen is decorated with paintings, and carved canopy work, with effigies; and under one of the south windows is the mutilated effigy of a man in armour, supposed to represent Roger Weyland, the founder of the church. The benefice is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £10. 2s., and united with Oxburgh rectory, in the gift of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Richard Lucas, M.A." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © E.C. "Paddy" Apling]
See also Foulsham.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Cranwich, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
- The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1854: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1864: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1883: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1883: Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk
- 1925: Kelly's Directory for Norfolk
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Directories
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Foulden to another place.
Foulden is in South Greenhoe hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which Foulden has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kelly, Geoffrey Ian
- Everett's Farm, Foulden: a history.
[Typescript in Norwich Local Studies Library, 1999]
- Great Britain: Statute
- Foulden Inclosure Act, 1780.
An act for dividing and inclosing the common fields, half year lands, fen lands, lammas meadows, heaths, commons and waste lands, within the parish of Foulden, in the county of Norfolk.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Swaffham Registration District, 1836
- and nearby places.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Maps
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL769992 (Lat/Lon: 52.56216, 0.60888), Foulden which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Roll of Honour
- World War 1.
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.