"FOULSHAM is a small but well-built town, pleasantly situated on the East Norfolk Extension Railway, 8 miles S.E. of Fakenham, 5 miles W.N.W. of Reepham, and 18 miles N.W. of Norwich. Its parish is in Aylsham union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Eynsford petty sessional division and hundred, Reepham polling district of North Norfolk, Sparham rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 950 inhabitants in 1881 living on 3226 acres, and has a rateable value of £6217. . . . The present CHURCH (Holy Innocents) was probably founded by Sir Robert Morley about the middle of the 14th century, as the lower windows of the chancel, the porch, and other portions are in the style which prevailed at that period; but the greater part of the building is of Late Perpendicular architecture, and appears to have been built by one of the Lords Morley about 1489, and restored to its original form after the great fire in 1770. It is a large and handsome edifice, comprising nave with aisles, chancel, and south porch. . . . The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £27 14s. 9½d., has 22A. 3R. 15P. of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £780, awarded in 1840 in lieu of tithes. Lord Hastings is patron, and the Rev. Charles Henry Frost, B.A., is incumbent. There is a spacious residence, which was considerably enlarged and improved in 1862. The Baptist chapel was built in 1826, and the Primitive Methodists chapel in 1871." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Sparham, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to the Holy Innocents.
- Church of the Holy Innocents
- Description and pictures.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Foulsham to another place.
Foulsham is in Eynsford Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Eynsford Hundred
- Description of Eynsford Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Foulsham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain. Inclosure Commissioners
- Statement of claims: Foulsham (82) and Themelthorpe (20).
Drawn up in pursuance of the Act of Inclosure, 1811.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Foulsham and Themelthorpe Inclosure Act, 1811.
An act for inclosing lands in the parishes of Foulsham and Themelthorpe, in the county of Norfolk: 11th April 1811.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG032249 (Lat/Lon: 52.783714, 1.011771), Foulsham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)