Norfolk: Framingham Pigot
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]
FRAMINGHAM-PIGOT, a small village, 4 miles S.E. by S. of Norwich, has its parish in Henstead union and hundred, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Swainsthorpe petty sessional division, Norwich polling district of South Norfolk, West Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 260 inhabitants in 1881, living on 608 acres, and has a rateable value of £1468 10s. The Bishop of Norwich is lord of the manor, which was given by Roger Bigod, Earl of Norfolk, to the Pigot or Picot family.
Standing within well-wooded grounds is Framingham manor house, a handsome residence of brick, with Ancaster stone dressings, built in the Tudor style in 1863, and the seat of George Henry Christie, Esq., who has rebuilt most of the neighbouring cottages in a handsome manner. The Hall, a large mansion, on an eminence commanding one of the most extensive and varied prospects in the county, is now occupied by Major Fitzgerald. Framingham lodge, about 3 miles from Norwich, is a well-built and pleasantly situated house in the Tudor style, built in 1860, and is the residence of John Day, Esq.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) was entirely rebuilt by G.H. Christie, Esq., at a cost of £4500, and is an elegant building of flint with stone dressings, in the Decorated style, comprising nave, chancel, south porch, and western doorway. The tower, which contains three bells, is at the north-west angle, and has an octagonal lantern, surmounted by a broach spire rising to the height of 114 feet, and forming a beautiful feature in the landscape. The shafts of the doorways are of polished Cornish marble, and over the west door is a beautiful piece of sculpture, representing St. Andrew. The seats are open, and of handsomely carved oak; and the organ is placed under the tower, where there is a richly carved stone screen.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £3 6s. 8d., in the patronage of the Bishop of Norwich, and incumbency of the Rev. William Henry Plume, B.A., who has a good rectory, built in 1844 at a cost of £900. The glebe is 24A., and the tithes were commuted in 1842 for £221 17s. 6d.
There is a neat lecture-room and schoolroom belonging exclusively to the rector.
Here is a Baptist Chapel, built in 1808.
The fuel allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1800, is 7A. 3R. 2P., [and] is let for £15 a year.
POST from Norwich, viâ Framingham-Earl.
Adams George dealer and butcher Aldis George harness maker Aldis John market gardener Aldis Noah market gardener Barrett Abraham market gardener Beales David Abel victualler and farmer, The Feathers Beaumont James market gardener Beaumont Robert shoemaker Blyth George, jun. market gardener Christie George Henry, Framingham manor house Esq., J.P. Christie James, Esq. Manor farm Cullen Daniel farmer Cullen William farmer Day John, Esq. Framingham lodge Ewing John bricklayer Ewing Robt. shoemkr. and parish clerk Fitz-Gerald Major The Hall Forder Leonard market gardener Gillingwater Wm. market gardener Hawkes Daniel market gardener Hawkes John market gardener Hogg Samuel market gardener Lansdell William blacksmith Long Geo. gardener and rate collector Meek Robert market gardener Nunn William shopkeeper Plume Rev. William Hy. The Rectory Price William shoemaker Read Mrs Mary Ann Read Jonathan carpenters, wheelwrights, builders, and & Samuel contractors; and Caistor St. Edmund's Read Jonathan (R.J. & Samuel); h Caistor St. Edmund's Read Samuel (R. Jonathan & S.) Spink John market gardener Yallop Jas. gardener and pork butcher Youngs William farmer and victualler, The Sea Gull
See also the Framingham Pigot parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.