"FRANSHAM (GREAT) a scattered village and parish, 6½ miles E.N.E. of Swaffham and west of Dereham, contains 329 souls and 1874 acres of land, in the manors of Oldhall, Swathing, and Crudd's, held respectively by the Rector, C. Metcalfe, Esq., and Mrs. Drosier. The Church (All Saints,) has a round tower, surmounted by a small spire, and in the chancel is a fine brass, representing a man armed cap-a-pie, inscribed Gilfridus Fransham. On another stone are portrayed the figures of John Crudd and his wife, dated 1439; and under the arch of the steeple is a brass, representing "Cecelia uxor John Legge." The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7. 15s. 10d., has 63A. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £552, awarded in 1841, in lieu of tithes. F.R. Reynolds, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Charles Reynolds, B.A., incumbent." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
Great Fransham is about 5 miles W. of East Dereham.
See also Little Fransham.
- Mid-Norfolk Family History Society
- Memorial Inscriptions of the Churches and Churchyards of All Saints Great Fransham, and St Mary Little Fransham.
[Mid-Norfolk Family History Society, 2001]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brisley, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Great Fransham to another place.
Great Fransham is in Launditch Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Launditch Hundred
- Description of Launditch Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Great Fransham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Rogerson, Andrew
- Fransham: an archaeological and historical study of a parish on the Norfolk boulder clay.
[Norwich, University of East Anglia Thesis, 1995]
- Great Britain. Inclosure Commissioners
- Statement of claims: Great Fransham, Little Fransham and North Pickenham.
Drawn up in pursuance of the Act of Inclosure, 1805.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Great Fransham, Little Fransham and North Pickenham Inclosure Act, 1805.
An act for inclosing lands in the parishes of Great Fransham, Little Fransham, and North Pickenham, in the county of Norfolk.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF896135 (Lat/Lon: 52.685852, 0.803545), Great Fransham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.