Norfolk: Great Fransham
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
FRANSHAM (GREAT) a scattered village and parish, 6½ miles E.N.E. of Swaffham and west of Dereham, contains 329 souls and 1874 acres of land, in the manors of Oldhall, Swathing, and Crudd's, held respectively by the Rector, C. Metcalfe, Esq., and Mrs. Drosier.
The Church (All Saints,) has a round tower, surmounted by a small spire, and in the chancel is a fine brass, representing a man armed cap-a-pie, inscribed Gilfridus Fransham. On another stone are portrayed the figures of John Crudd and his wife, dated 1439; and under the arch of the steeple is a brass, representing "Cecelia uxor John Legge." The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7. 15s. 10d., has 63A. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £552, awarded in 1841, in lieu of tithes. F.R. Reynolds, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Charles Reynolds, B.A., incumbent.
The Fuel Allotment, awarded in 1807, is 8A. 1R. 36P., let for £13. 15s. The poor have also the interest of £20, left by John Bailey, and Thomas Case.
Clark David shopkpr. & shoemaker Drosier Mrs Mary Cnrds Hall [should be Crudd's Hall] Dunger Wm. vict., Chequers Frost John beer seller Perkins Jonathan miller Pratt Chas. vict., Lord Nelson Rump Richd. vict., Pine Inn Reynolds Rev Chas. B.A. Rectory Westby John academy FARMERS. Claxton Noah Howell Jacob Flood John Makins John Flood Haw Perkins Henry Gathercole Amb. Stamford Samuel Godfrey Masters Wellingham Wm. Hastings Thos.
See also the Great Fransham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.