Norfolk: Great Fransham
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]
FRANSHAM (GREAT), is a scattered village and parish 6½ miles E.N.E. of Swaffham, and 6½ miles W. of Dereham, and is in Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Launditch hundred and petty sessional division, Litcham polling district of West Norfolk, Brisley rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 336 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1880 acres, and has a rateable value of £3490 18s.
The parish is in the manors of Ellingham Courtlings, Mills-on-the-Moor, Great Fransham, and the Rectory manors. The trustees of the late John Hudson, Esq. and the rector are lords of the manor. Miss Mason, Harry Wilson Benson, and some smaller owners have estates here.
The CHURCH (All Saints) has nave (thoroughly restored in 1878), a square tower surmounted by a small spire, and in the chancel is a fine brass, representing a man armed cap-à-pie, inscribed Galfridus Fransham. Under the arch of the steeple is a brass representing 'Cecelia uxor John Legge.'
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7 15s. 10d., has 63A. of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £552, awarded in 1841, in lieu of tithes. It is in the patronage of Magdalen College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Vincent Raven, M.A., who has a good residence, built about 90 years ago.
The School is supported by voluntary contribution or rate.
The fuel allotment, awarded in 1807, is 8A. 1R. 36P., let for £11 15s.
Here is a station on the Lynn and Dereham branch of the Great Eastern Railway.
WALL LETTER-BOX at Mr. David Clark's. Letters from East Dereham arrive at 9 a.m., and are despatched at 4.30 p.m. No Sunday delivery or despatch. Little Fransham is the nearest Money Order Office.
Benson Harry Wilson farmer and landowner, High house Boddy Thomas farmer Churchman William farmer Clark David grocer and farmer Claxton Christmas victualler, Lord Nelson; and cottager Crane William agricultural implement maker, joiner and builder, smith and wheelwrt. and church bell hanger Flood John farmer and landowner, Alma lodge Hazel John George miller and farmer Mace Jas. blacksmith; h Lit.Fransham Mann Robert beer house Purple Henry farmer and cattle dealer, High green Quartermain Miss National school-mistress Raven Rev. Vincent, Rectory M.A. Rix Mrs Ann farmer, Crudd's hall Rix John farmer, Crudd's hall Rush Marlborough beer house & frmr Standford Philip farmer and landowner, Glebe lands; h Wendling Tye George beerhouse and bricklayer
RAILWAY STATION: Edgar Skeet, station master
See also the Great Fransham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.