"FRANSHAM, (LITTLE) a small village, on the Norwich and Lynn road, 6 miles E. by N. of Swaffham, and west of East Dereham, has in its parish 263 souls, and 1,031 acres of land, in the two manors of Barnes-on-the-Moor, and Sparham and Wilcox; the former, held by the Earl of Essex, and the latter by Mrs. Alpe; but part of the soil belongs to Money Griggs, Esq., and a few smaller owners. The old hall has a room, in which it is said Queen Elizabeth slept one night, in her tour through Norfolk, and near it are some foundations of Roman brick-work. The Church (St. Mary,) is an ancient fabric without a steeple, containing a curious font, a piscina, and several memorials of the Alpe and other families. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 8s. 4d., and now having 38A. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £314, awarded in 1838, in lieu of tithes. The Rev. A.W. Langton, A.M., is patron and incumbent." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
Little Fransham is about 5 miles W. of East Dereham.
See also Great Fransham.
- Mid-Norfolk Family History Society
- Memorial Inscriptions of the Churches and Churchyards of All Saints Great Fransham, and St Mary Little Fransham.
[Mid-Norfolk Family History Society, 2001]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brisley, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Little Fransham to another place.
Little Fransham is in Launditch Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Launditch Hundred
- Description of Launditch Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Little Fransham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Rogerson, Andrew
- Fransham: an archaeological and historical study of a parish on the Norfolk boulder clay.
[Norwich, University of East Anglia Thesis, 1995]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF902121 (Lat/Lon: 52.672947, 0.811958), Little Fransham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.