"FREETHORPE, 8 miles W. by S. of Yarmouth, and 12 miles E.S.E. of Norwich, has in its parish 388 souls, and 903 acres of land, including 34A of commons. It belongs mostly to R.H.V. Walpole and R. Nevill, Esqrs., and partly to Robert Gilbert, Esq. They are also impropriators of the rectorial tithes, and the two former are lords of the manor. The Church (All Saints,) is a vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £12, and consolidated with Reedham rectory." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Blofield, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Hutchinson, Sheila
- Freethorpe Past and Present.
[ISBN 0954168384, Norwich, 2011]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Freethorpe to another place.
Freethorpe is in Blofield Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Blofield Hundred
- Description of Blofield Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Freethorpe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain. Inclosure Commissioners
- Statement of Claims (55): Freethorpe, Limpenhoe and Reedham.
Drawn up in pursuance of the Act of Inclosure, 1840.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Freethorpe, Limpenhoe and Reedham Inclosure Act, 1840.
An act for inclosing lands in the parishes of Freethorpe, Limpenhoe, and Reedham, in the county of Norfolk, 3rd April 1840.
[London, George Edward Eyre and Andrew Spottiswoode, 1840]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG410053 (Lat/Lon: 52.592412, 1.556194), Freethorpe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1851 and 1861 Censuses
- "Parts of the following Parishes in the South Walsham Subdistrict, are situate in the Marshes at distances varying from two to seven miles from the respective villages: South Walsham St. Lawrence, Upton, Acle, Halvergate, Tunstall, Wickhampton, Freethorpe, and Reedham."
- 1861 Census
- "The decrease of population in the parish of Freethorpe is attributed partly to the migration of young persons and partly to emigration."
- 1901 Census
- "Including Freethorpe Common."