William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
GASTHORPE, anciently called Gatesthorpe, is a parish in the vale of the Little Ouse, 3 miles S.W. of East Harling, in Guiltcross union, Thetford county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Harling polling district of South Norfolk, Rockland rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
It had 94 inhabitants in 1881, living on 864 acres, and has a rateable value of £629. The soil belongs to Thomas Thornhill, Esq., lord of the manor and patron of the living.
The CHURCH (St. Nicholas) has long been in ruins, and its rectory consolidated with that of Riddlesworth. The glebe is 21A., and the poor have 20s. a year from land left by Dorothy Gawdy in 1660.
POST from Thetford, viâ East Harling, arrives at 7 A.M., despatched at 5 P.M. The nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office is at Garboldisham.
Cutler William blacksmith
Hennells Benjamin butcher & grocer
Wharton Wm. frmr, Gasthorpe lodge
See also the Gasthorpe parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.